Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Beeks in the Gembrook Vic Area  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Steele-family

• New Bee
Any Beeks in the Gembrook Vic Area
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:06:12 am »
Hi All,
I'm new to beekeeping and hoping that there may be other beeks in my area that could help me out with some advice from time to time.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Any Beeks in the Gembrook Vic Area
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »
Welcome to the hobby! You're in for a whole lot of fun! There's lots of guys on here from Melbourne who will be happy to help... I myself am from keilor... There's also phil and Pete from around Melbourne too! Nice guys... Feel free to ask any questions-someone will know the answer. How many hives do you have?

Offline Steele-family

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
Thanks Ozzbuzz

I have been reading your posts.

Got my first hive a few weeks back and just waiting for a nuc I have ordered.
I'm tipping that it's going to addictive though I will try and keep it simple till I get a handle on the basics.

Thanks

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:08:44 pm »
Welcome! As OzBuzz said there are a few of us around Melbourne (and also around the world) who are very happy to give any advice/help you need. Most importantly, enjoy your bees!

What sort of bees do you have? How did you come by them?

Phil

Offline Steele-family

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »
Thanks Phil,
I currently have Italians, picked them up about 3weeks ago from a nice bloke in Surry Hills the queen is 12 months old so I guess I will have a year of learning before I re-queen. Seem to be a strong Hive and haven't had any fromblems when I open the hive up.so I'm hoping to get a bit of Honey this season. The Nuc is Italians also with a new queen though I'm not sure how long it will be before I get them. Hopefully not too long now though I'm hoping for so Honey.
I'm starting to get itchy fingers though as Ive seen some hive advertised though worried about problmes or week hives.

I'm on 60 Ac with heaps of Native Flora around with a couple of spring fed creeks so I'm hoping that the bees will have a nice enviroment to make lots of honey.

I enjoy reading your posts and thanks for your intrest.
Jason

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:18:10 am »

I'm on 60 Ac with heaps of Native Flora around with a couple of spring fed creeks so I'm hoping that the bees will have a nice enviroment to make lots of honey.

You will have no trouble making friends on here  :-D

Lots of us have trouble finding places to store the hives. You might find some one local who can share hives in trade for space to store theirs?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:36:44 am »
You will have no trouble making friends on here  :-D

:-D

PS: Hey Pete, it's about time you updated your signature...

anything