Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some Things I've Been Up To  (Read 5533 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Some Things I've Been Up To
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:35:48 am »
Interesting little swarm under some rocks at the water's edge of Lake Pontchartrain.

2nd is a removal I did yesterday.

3rd is me moving most of the hives I had at my house to my main beeyard. I began this project at 2 am this morning, it was time consuming and labor intensive, but the hive carrier I bought from Dadant is truly awesome! https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193

I was going to move the hives from the house anyway, but there is a story to go along, which concerns a particular neighbor.. I can tell it another time, if ya'll want to here it.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/June62008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
Re: Some Things I've Been Up To
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:09:46 am »
"i was going to move the hives from the house anyway, but there is a story to go along, which concerns a particular neighbor..I can tell it another time, if ya'll want to hear it."

Do Tell!!

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:34:03 am »

I was going to move the hives from the house anyway, but there is a story to go along, which concerns a particular neighbor.. I can tell it another time, if ya'll want to here it.

...JP

Let's have it!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:49:21 am »
Ok, I have this neighbor who went under my carport and into my backyard one day (about 3 yrs ago), you have to open a gate to do so. The very next day I had some stuff missing, but didn't acuse him, but became suspicious.

Before this incident we were on friendly talking terms and albeit I thought he was very forward and somewhat odd, I put up with his unusual ways.

It seems he made a habit of entering other people's yards as well but all knew him and didn't think anything of it either.

One day he asks me what I was going to do with my fountain, which was at the rear left of my back patio, which you could not see unless you had trespassed onto my property.

I told him he could have it for $50.00 if he liked, I wasn't using it and wasn't going to, but he had to wait for a break in my schedule, for my nephew and I to get it to him.

He grew impatient after a couple of weeks and said he didn't want it anymore, when I walked over and told him we could bring it over now (it weighed about 150 lbs dry)

Ok, I said, but it is yours if you want it, and because you seem upset you haven't gotten it sooner, I'll just give it to you, well, he couldn't resist, so we wheeled it over.

Would you know that after I gave him the fountain he became a complete pain in the a$$!

He asked me one day if I was missing some bees, cause they were going to his "free" fountain.

Longer story short, he gets a bigger fountain and pond and the bees like that even better.

Last week we talked and I agreed that I would try and create a large water source to compete with his pond set up, then I decide that I will just move them to my main beeyard to resolve the issue since there really is no guarentee they would not continue visiting his set up.

So, I had been in touch and filled them (he and his wife) in on my plan of action and this Monday, a small swarm showed up in a tree next to his house, and I go over and shake them in a box.

We spoke again, and I asured them that I had ordered a hive carrier and the bees were going, prob Friday.

Thursday, he called code enforcement and a guy (from code enforcement) who used to keep bees comes out, then animal control.

I fill them in on the saga. Animal control says cool, I'm outta here, ya'll got it covered.

Code enforcement says if you want to keep them get your closest neighbors to sign a consent, cause I was legal as for as the grouchy neighbor went, I am more than 200' from their house.

I decided I was moving them anyway, which I did, for the most part, still have a few on the back patio, like the speaker box bees and some in a tupperware container, but those need to be transferred anyway, so looks like I'll be doing some babysitting of a few hives at the house, but nothing really more than that.

Oh, and the neighbor was mad that I put a lock on my gate leading to my back patio after I saw him enteing and leaving, go figure!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:56:08 am »
Thanks JP.  That story makes me thankful, once again, for the neighbors I have.

Dave

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 10:15:36 am »
Thanks JP.  That story makes me thankful, once again, for the neighbors I have.

Dave

I have no problems with the other neighbors, they are very cool. But one bad egg can spoil the dozen, is that a saying? ;)

...JP

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:28:20 pm »
I guess you shouldn't have been nice and given him the fountain to begin with.  ;)
I'm glad you had another spot to move them to.

Brenda

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »
Unbelievable!  I'm not sure I would be as tolerant as you have been, especially if someone was on my property uninvited.  I guess there's one in every neighborhood.  Gee, how did he know you had put a lock on your gate?!

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:59 am »
Give Thanks Every Day for the fact that my closest "Neighbor" is 1/2 mile away.  He's got one of those outside phone bells and we are often woken by it at night. How can he sleep with that thing? :? :? :?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 12:42:07 am »
Unbelievable!  I'm not sure I would be as tolerant as you have been, especially if someone was on my property uninvited.  I guess there's one in every neighborhood.  Gee, how did he know you had put a lock on your gate?!

Because when he tried to get in another time I told him I had some things taken and decided to lock the gate and that I was not accusing him of anything. He's just a big baby, plain and simple.

...JP

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:15:37 pm »
It sounds to me like you are waaayyy to nice to that guy.

At this point I think I'd leave my gate open and then call the cops and file a trespassing complaint next time I saw him trespassing.  That is what he is doing to your bees....

And I believe that the metaphor is that one bad apple will spoil the bunch.  I don't think egg rot spreads to other eggs... :-P
Rick

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 03:35:39 am »
Until that rotten egg explodes :'(  Man that brings back memories of younger brothers and sisters that had not yet learned how to tell a sloshy rotten egg from a good one. :-\ :-D

Hoo boy oh man!  Talk about green and nasty and stink!!!  (gag reflex operational)
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 08:37:27 am »
It sounds to me like you are waaayyy to nice to that guy.

At this point I think I'd leave my gate open and then call the cops and file a trespassing complaint next time I saw him trespassing.  That is what he is doing to your bees....

And I believe that the metaphor is that one bad apple will spoil the bunch.  I don't think egg rot spreads to other eggs... :-P

I called a friend who is a cop and we talked about putting the fear of God into these people but I really just called him to vent.

I will continue to keep my gate locked. The sorry thing is, if this neighbor ever needs something from me, ever again, he gets the "NO" word, all because he couldn't wait ONE more day for me to do what I told him I would do.

As far as being anything to these neighbors, that obviously is over, I see trespassing, and I'm calling the cops.

...JP

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:11 pm »
I'm sorry you have to go through that.  I am blessed to have the neighbors I have.  We don't always see eye to eye but we can agree to disagree.  I hope it all works out for you.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:32:23 pm »
I'm sorry you have to go through that.  I am blessed to have the neighbors I have.  We don't always see eye to eye but we can agree to disagree.  I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks for your sentiments Mr.Q. ;)

...JP