Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new teenage beekeeper  (Read 6417 times)

Offline olive

• New Bee
    • Facebook
new teenage beekeeper
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:24:23 pm »
Hi!

I’ll tell you how I got interested in bees. When I was about 5 or 6 I went outside and I found a bee drowning in my dog’s water dish. I was really afraid of all bugs when I was little, ESPECIALLY is they happened to have stingers…but I couldn’t stand to see it drowning so I put a twig in the bowl and the bee crawled on and I told it to tell all the other bees never to sting me as payment for saving it. I would later call it “my treaty with the bees”

Now I’m 17 and still never been stung once…but I can’t expect that to last, because I just got my first two beehives and I know stings come with the territory. I’ve been studying and learning about bees from local keepers since last fall, and now I’m trying it myself. 

I started with two nuc boxes, five frames each, and transferred them to my hives. I was less than graceful with the first one (turns out my gloves were too big!) and the bees were a little irritated, but smoke calmed them down. The second hive went very smoothly. I’ve checked them a couple of times since then and they seem to be doing well. I love watching them fly and the humming sound they make.

Other than that…I have a vast menagerie of interests. I’m eclectic  I’m your average teenage girl. I like to read and write and draw. I love riding my bike and being outside in general. Music is great, and I love all kinds…big band, classical, rock, county…you name it! And antiques are my things…classic movies too. When I grow up, I want to be a mortician. And I’m a Christian (which is probably the most important thing about me!)

Nice to meet you!

~the girl who made a treaty with the bees~

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: new teenage beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:18 pm »
Hello and Welcome olive 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:45 pm »
Welcome Olive, I think you will be a great bee keeper. Good luck with your hive. I agree that being a Christian is the most important thing.
Bobby

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
Hey Olive!
Welcome to the forums!
Thats a great story about saving the bee! Also a really cool introduction of yourself!
Youre gonna love the bees! Its so cooool to have a younger person doing bees with us! Youre going to learn alot about everything by doing bees! I mean, like how the world works and how all things are connected! And, If you like me,(and a bunch of others in here) you're gonna think that you've recieved a special gift from God in gaining your interest in bees...you'll see! Also.....can I trade my son to your parents for you? He doesnt like anything but video games...hes 17 too....and. like his mother,he's an atheist...But thats a whole nuther story! :)

your friend,
john

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:06 pm »
Great that your parents are letting you have bees, they're really amazing (the bees - I don't know your parents).
welcome to the forums.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:43:42 pm »
And, If you like me,....
That should have read,..."And, if you're like me"....Im not a nut so dont worry :)

your friend,
john

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:32 pm »
Welcome Olive! I am so thrilled to hear that another young person is involved with bees.
It seems we are hearing about more and more young people becoming beekeepers.
I think its great that your parents are supportive in your endeavor and let you get a couple of hives.
Awesome!
Oh and don't worry Johnny is really not a nut. ;)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05:23 am »
Welcome to the forum!  Lot's of info to be gleened here, but you need to post your location so that people can give you info/advice specific to your area.  Good luck and have fun! 8-)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 01:37:25 pm »
Olive

I just love your story about the bees when you were little.  You sound like a very sensitive women and I would say you are quite extraordinary and not a typical teenager.  You have many wonderful interests and it shows how open and aware you are to many different things in the world.

Keep us posted how the little hives are doing and feel free to share every little thing about them even if you just want to share how you sit and stare at them for hours.  I did that when I first got my bees.

Take care
Annette

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:58:13 pm »
Welcome Olive!  Your bee yard sounds about like mine, 2 new hives buzzing with activity.  This forum has so much valuable information available, but you need to read and study, because there are many different schools of thought and opinions on different practices.

Annette..how long did it take before you quit sitting and staring at them for hours?...I can't go out into my backyard without doing that..the bee's activity at the entrance to the hive is so hypnotizing...haha
-Mike
-Mike

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 03:31:43 pm »
And, If you like me,....
That should have read,..."And, if you're like me"....Im not a nut so dont worry :)

your friend,
john

Oh... I thought you meant that it takes a special gift from God to like you!!!
Just kidding, john!!  :-P

Welcome Olive, read a lot and watch a lot and you will gain a little understanding of the bees!  We have a lotta fun here with bees!  Ask questions when you have them, and don't forget the search function...every topic has been covered from some angle, but we're happy to answer any of the questions again from any new angle!! :)

Rick
Rick

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:49:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline olive

• New Bee
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »
Thanks everyone!  Don’t worry John…I don’t think you’re a nut…yet haha!  ;)
I agree...I've only been studying bees for a while, and I can allready see that their little universe has parallels to ours.  The bees can be fine teachers  And...I agree with Annette, I can't stop watching the bees...they're almost mesmerizing  :)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 11:19:42 pm »
One other thing...fill in your location on your user set up.  Not only because we are nosy but it makes a big difference with beekeeping advice.

Have a great day!
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:11 am »
Thanks everyone!  Don’t worry John…I don’t think you’re a nut…yet haha!  ;)
I agree...I've only been studying bees for a while, and I can allready see that their little universe has parallels to ours.  The bees can be fine teachers  And...I agree with Annette, I can't stop watching the bees...they're almost mesmerizing  :)

See I was right about you being so aware and interesting.  I also feel the bees are like us in so many ways, or should I say we are like the bees in so many ways. (actually I wish we were like the bees)  But we certainly can learn so many things from them as you say, They are the best teachers.

Oh and Mike I think I spent almost the entire first summer watching them constantly. Mostly because I wanted to understand what they were doing.  Now I understand so much that I don't feel the need to sit and watch, although it is still fun to do. A couple of weeks ago, I had given one hive a frame that the wax moths got into last year.  This frame was totally free of the wax moths because I froze the whole frame and I didn't want to waste the nice wax combs so I placed it into one hive and a few days later as I was watching them, I saw a bee dragging out a long piece of webbing left over from the wax moths. The webbing was about 2 inches long and it looked so funny being dragged out by this bee. They really are cute when they are doing the housecleaning thing.

I also just love watching them when they are lined up on the top of the supers when I am inspecting them. Those cute little faces just watching me.

Take Care
Annette

Offline olive

• New Bee
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:14:01 am »
I also just love watching them when they are lined up on the top of the supers when I am inspecting them. Those cute little faces just watching me.

Haha, and I thought i was crazy for thinking bees were cute  :-P

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:57 pm »
Welcome to the forum Olive,

This is great place to learn and share your love of honey bees.

Good Luck.

I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline RickeyENC

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 06:54:29 pm »
Welcome! I too started beekeeping in my teens, I had a hive for a couple years, then I gradated and joined the Marines and gave my hive to a beekeeping friend. Today aftera 28 year hiatus I just started 2 new hives today. So beware, once it gets in your blood it is there to stay :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:49 am »
Olive, welcome to our forum, so nice you have found us.  We have quite a few young adults that are interested in beekeeping, and it is a great thing that the young have this beautiful side to them.  You have apathy, that shone through when you spoke of your saving the bee.  Beautiful.  Stick around, this will be a great place for you to tell of your stories, tales and experiences, we love to listen.  have that most wonderful day, to love and live this great life we all live and share, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 12:30:01 pm »
You have apathy, that shone through when you spoke of your saving the bee.
I thinking (hoping) you meant "Empathy". :D

PS. Cindi - I'm sure everyone is glad to see that your finger is well enough to type again. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

anything