Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The queen is there but she wont lay  (Read 2859 times)

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
The queen is there but she wont lay
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:02:47 am »
About 6 weeks ago I posted a question about why my queen wont lay.  I think the hive was honey bound so I put in a frame of brood from another hive along with a frame of foundation.  The two frames are now drawn out but there are still no eggs in them.  I found the queen but she is not laying at all.  What could the problem be? 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: The queen is there but she wont lay
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:12:02 am »
Won't lay at all?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:16:44 am »
I dont see any eggs, larvae or capped brood.  There is honey on the outside frames and pollen but no sign of  egg laying.  The queen is there however.  I saw her.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:12:55 pm »
Is there a dearth?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:13:07 pm »
I have heard that term before but I have no working definition.  If you can tell me what it means I will tell you if it is happening. 

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 06:20:45 pm »
I read about "dearth" and I am thinking that it is not happening.  Goldenrod is blooming here as well as some other plants.  Then number of bees in the hive never built up this year and upon closer inspection, there is no honey in the hive.  There is plenty of pollen.  I put a frame of honey in to see what will happen but I know this hive wont make it through winter. 

I have another weak hive.  Should I combine the two to improve their chances? 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:24:26 pm »
I read about "dearth" and I am thinking that it is not happening.  Goldenrod is blooming here as well as some other plants.  Then number of bees in the hive never built up this year and upon closer inspection, there is no honey in the hive.  There is plenty of pollen.  I put a frame of honey in to see what will happen but I know this hive wont make it through winter. 

If they have no stores you are in a dearth and will have to feed them or they will starve, and this is why your queen isn't laying BTW.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 10:01:59 pm »
They have to have stores just to survive.  They could have some stores left and be in a dearth or they could be out.  But in a dearth the queen often doesn't lay even if there are stores.
-------------------

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:46:56 am »
Being as your name is "whipcitybeeman", I am just going to guess you are from the westfield area. If this is the case, then you aren't to far from me and yes, we are in the beginning of a dearth. One of my hives started slowing recently and after a few days of feeding the queen started laying again. Hope this helps.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:36:42 pm »
They have to have stores just to survive.  They could have some stores left and be in a dearth or they could be out.  But in a dearth the queen often doesn't lay even if there are stores.

In a dearth the bees are often consuming what they forage as quickly as they gather it, hence there are no resources for brood production.  Also, as the bees go into a dearth they will eat the already layed eggs and larve and may even begin to cannabalize the newer (white) pupae.  If you have more than one hive the bees will also begin robbing each other if you start feeding them individually.  I usually feed both individually and with a feeding station when experiencing a dearth.  The feeding station attracts the bees going out to forage so they concentrate on that, as well as using what is individually fed, and robbing doesn't happen.  The main point is to place the feeding station as far from your hives as reasonably possible taking into consideration of property lines, building locations, etc.

In the mean time feed and be content with the fact that nature has provided you will the grand master of natural varroa control.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything