Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The turkey baby, ooooooh you're gonna laugh!!!  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The turkey baby, ooooooh you're gonna laugh!!!
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:58:23 am »
Holy smoking cadoodalhoppers!!!  We have a broody Muscovy duck sitting on 13 eggs.  Today is day 36 of her sitting on the eggs.  Muscovy duck gestation is 35 days.  One duckling has so far hatched this afternoon, more to come overnight and tomorrow.

We also have two turkey hens sitting on eggs, their gestation is 28 days, chickens are about 20-22.  The turkeys went broody on April 1 and April 5, so there will be turkeys hatching out for a few days in succession.  Today is the 27 of April.  27 days the one turkey hen has been sitting on eggs.

Today when I was walking past the turkey house, I heard a peeping, good, babies are hatching.  I went over to have a look inside.  I had to kneel down to look and I saw something dart really fast inbehind both of the hens, they are in the same little house brooding.  I let that be for the day.  I told my Sister and just before supper we went down to have a look.  We could hear the peeping.  Then we saw it, only briefly, but we saw it.  It was yellow and it looked just like a baby chick.  Eeeks!!!  Now this is funnnneeeeeee....when the turkeys had gone broody, the chickens were still going into their coop to hang out for a bit. I think that some chickens proabably snuck into the turkey brood house (this is big enough for the two hens to fit into, and I have seen Richard the tom go in there too) and laid some eggs and these eggs are hatching out.  Holy shamumunga!!!  This is going to be one strange hatching out here, I think there will be a bunch of little chicks and a bunch of turkey poults.  Should make for some interesting raise of birds.  Time will be telling that tale.

My Sister and I spoke of playing a trick on her Daughter who wants to raise a little turkey and a little duck in her bedroom.  I was telling in another post of how this young lady loves to raise these little babies into ones that can go into the yards with the other fowls.  She raises them and they love her to pieces.  They think that she is their mother and eventually, they figure out that they are not human after all.  But man is it cute to watch these little critters run like the dickens after her, all over the house, the yard, everywhere that she goes, oh it is so ding dang cute.  And yes, Jody, I will take lots of pictures when that time is right, hee, hee.  Right, the joke, oh dear, I do so ramble, I just can't stop, hee, hee.  We are going to pretend that the chick is a turkey and also give her a turkey baby too, she won't get it for awhile, because she has no clue what is going on, but we want to see how long it takes her to figure out that it is a chicken, not a turkey baby.  I know that they look different, but we will just tell her that not all turkeys look the same, oh dear, that nasty little teasing side has surfaced, and I thought that I had it so under control, hee, hee, kind of reminds me of someone, right JP?

So tomorrow should be a baby day at our house, babies and more babies.  And today another Muscovy went broody, she has 14 eggs under her.  I had been saving them for a few days and put a whole bunch under her today when she was sitting.  I know that she was going to go broody because she had began to pull out her down to make the nest house soft for the sweet little ducks.  We are gonna have ducks coming out our ears, hee, hee, oh yes, life is so much fun.....beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Re: The turkey baby, ooooooh you're gonna laugh!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:32:36 am »
each one of my hens has about 20 something eggs under them. Some are pritty old so who knows how many will actually hatch out. Should be interesting to say the least lol.

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:00 am »
Hey Cindi, looks like ya'll are having a ball with the livestock/future sandwhiches. Be careful about that nasty little teasing now, it might spread to other members. God forbid, right? :-D Heeheheheheeheheehe. :-D :-D :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jingles

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:26:59 am »
SO great!!! I had a guinea hatch a chicken egg along with her own clutch.....and that hen stayed with the guineas her whole life (they even taught her to fly across the yard!). Crazy birds!

Congrats on your little hatchlings!!

Love,