Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cypress beehives  (Read 11281 times)

Offline teebo

• New Bee
cypress beehives
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:09:53 pm »
 I was looking at a web site that had cypress beehives for sale and was wondering if anyone has used are made them from cypress wood, and is it a good wood to use? :roll:

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: cypress beehives
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:27:42 pm »
I haven't used them. Seems a bit expensive.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:24:48 pm »
Cypress is nice. It's also expensive.  I have pine boxes that are 32 years old and still have bees in them.  How much longer will the cypress ones last?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:48:52 pm »
I have a few and like them very well.  They will outlast the pine boxes here in florida and you don't have to paint them. :-D

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:44:11 pm »
I have a few and like them very well.  They will outlast the pine boxes here in florida and you don't have to paint them. :

I think here in the south, cypress is the only way to go      Charlie

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:48:11 pm »
I've worked in Florida a couple of times and saw some cypress wood
beautiful stuff I use Pine
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 10:49:30 pm »
I live in Florida. I am using cheap pine.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 06:27:05 pm »
Cypress is like Cedar, both have about double the life of pine.  That's one reason they're so expensive.
I prefer Cedar when I can get it, either new or salvage.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Davzbeez

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 12:58:17 pm »
I bought 6 cypress supers last year from a website.  They were very helpful and sent the order promptly.  The wood was very nice, and I am sure will last a lifetime because of the oils in it.  However, knowing what I know now, I will just make my own out of pine 1 X 8 from a big box store and paint the outside with copper napthalene and then a coat or two of whatever, spar varnish or white latex.  Even if you don't have your own table saw and tools, buying precut pine supers is way cheaper.  It will last a long time if you take care of it.

Dave
Deformis Sed Suspendium

Ask Gandalf!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 02:22:18 pm »
I will just make my own out of pine 1 X 8 from a big box store and paint the outside with copper napthalene and then a coat or two of whatever, spar varnish or white latex. 

Those wooden boxes in the picture are my self made in the year 1966. So 40 years old. Picture is 1,5 years old.  They are pine and painted with light outdoor latex paint.  Thin layer is essential that moisture breathes out from wood.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 02:38:22 pm »
I have about 15 ac. of Cedar trees I'm looking to find a use for.  Finsky, looks like your boxes are layered?  What was the reasoning behind the construction?  What are everyone thoughts on building your own from cedar planks?  Perhaps we could set up a long term solution? 

D.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 02:57:18 pm »
I have about 15 ac. of Cedar trees I'm looking to find a use for.  Finsky, looks like your boxes are layered?  What was the reasoning behind the construction?  What are everyone thoughts on building your own from cedar planks?  Perhaps we could set up a long term solution? 

D.

I had only circular saw with witch I splitted the boards. Then I hit with rough nail them together.

Saw was fastened uside down under table.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 03:04:01 pm »
Finsky, so you ripped the boards to size?  The layering was intentional as a design or a solution to the dimensions of the lumbar that you have available?  how did you fasten the layers?  they look very solid, no problems with separation between the layers then.
D

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 03:29:58 pm »

The dimension of element was 30 mm thick x 40 mm high.  Then I hit them together with  4" roughly galvanized nails.

First I used clue but box consumed so much (expencive) that stopped that. Layers stay in their place because weight of boxes press them together.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:09:40 pm »
You guys are pretty smart
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon