Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Snapped this pic yesterday...  (Read 5017 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Snapped this pic yesterday...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »
rob,
Didn't mean to hijack your thread with my question...and perhaps I asked it poorly. 

While I understand the process and realize what factors need to be present for bees to cap honey, proper moisture content, etc....I had never heard of being able to tell when that is about to take place.  I'd never heard of any clear indicators that a frame was about to be capped.  I thought it was a case of "it looks ready to cap" but then you just have to patiently wait, and it happens when it happens.

From what I've heard at my LBC's it seems like a lot of folks are having issues with a lot of partially capped frames.  Other than the obvious answer, that, that section of the frame isn't ready to be capped...any reason why this would be a regular occurrence in an area. 

maybe the relative humidity has been higher than usual?  i've had rain (1/2 inch a day is not unusual this year) almost every day for months.  it may be hard for the bees to de-humidify the nectar with so much humidity in the air.  this is pure speculation, though, just thinking out loud.  i had a lot of frames that were filled before the great flood started in late may that are just getting completely capped now.  this has been a strange year. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:33 pm »
It is nectar until the bees add their enzymes and other body fluids to it. Then it is honey. When the water content is correct, they cap it for storage.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:38 am »
It is nectar until the bees add their enzymes and other body fluids to it. Then it is honey. When the water content is correct, they cap it for storage.

well, the enzymes are added when they regurgitate it into the cells so by your standard is it honey as soon as it's in the cell?  that seems to be the debate. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 01:27:18 am »

well, the enzymes are added when they regurgitate it into the cells so by your standard is it honey as soon as it's in the cell?  that seems to be the debate. 

Kinda what I thought -- but was taking the low road  :-D Regurtitated honey just not completely cured :evil:
John 3:16

anything