Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Video card to get great FPS  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Video card to get great FPS
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:40:12 pm »
My son is building a high end gaming computer at my expense. I am looking for a video card where he can get great FPS. He is running an ASUS formula V motherboard, 16 gigs of high performance ram, volicraptor hard drive, 8 core amd 4.0 cpu. Any suggestions on a video card to get great frame per second. Monior is HD Ben Q.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Re: Video card to get great FPS
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:09 am »
My son just built a system "with his money". That is a strange concept since I'm paying for his college!

"high end gaming" is extremely open ended and ever changing.  You can get cards from next to nothing to several thousand and you may or may not see any benefit.  It looks like the board has onboard graphics and those have been greatly beefed up recently.  Also, the CPU/MOBO graphics are now being used to assist add-in cards.

I know people that have spent the thousands and replaced the cards within a year because they didn't perform as well a lower end card on their game.

I would suggest you build the system without a video card, but plan in the ability to add a good one.  Test the onboard video with the program(s) he wants to run and do some testing.  This establishes a baseline and may be perfectly acceptable.  Then you can add a video card immediately, if necessary.  If not, you save the money now and have a relatively inexpensive upgrade path down the road.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Video card to get great FPS
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:01:11 am »
Thanks for the thoughts!

anything