Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How To Build A Kenya Top Bar Hive - Part 1 - Top Bars  (Read 23991 times)

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
How To Build A Kenya Top Bar Hive - Part 1 - Top Bars
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:40:26 pm »
I hope someone finds this helpful.

Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
Re: How To Build a Kenya Top Bar Hive - Part 1 - Top Bars
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:21:21 am »
hey thanks for posting this now I have a few new idea's on how to make my top bars.
Dracono

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Re: How To Build a Kenya Top Bar Hive - Part 1 - Top Bars
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:28:12 am »
Here are two videos you may find useful for prepping the top bars with comb guides.

Learning Top Bar Beekeeping - Building Top Bars 1/2

and

Learning Top Bar Beekeeping - Building Top Bars 2 of 2
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline muradulislam

• New Bee
Re: How To Build A Kenya Top Bar Hive - Part 1 - Top Bars
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:14:33 am »
Thanx for the tip about using string as a guide, i'll definitely use it now and i think it will work great.....

Offline shane

• New Bee
  • shane122370@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:37 am »

when using the cove molding there is a gap between the cove and the top bar have you ever had a problem with shb just looks like a good hiding spot for them what is your thoughts on this thanks for the videos

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:29 am »
Shane,
That is a great question.  I haven’t had a problem with SHB at all but you have a good point.  My bees fill the holes with propolis.  There is a similar molding that is simply a triangle and perhaps called corner molding that works just as well.  I used the cove molding because it was what I found at the store.  I am now in Maine and SHB will not be a problem for me but I haven’t checked out the stores to see what they have either.  I think you might be better off with the corner molding if SHB are a problem in your area as the cove molding may very well offer a hiding place.  Good call!

Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »
I believe it's called "chamfer molding" pronounced kamfur.   You can buy it in 8 ft strips 3/4 x 3/4 inch

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:33:34 pm »
My home store didn't carry the chamfer/corner molding that is solid. So I bought some 1x2. Ripped it in half to get 1x1 (actually 3/4x3/4) and then ripped that at a 45° resulting in solid triangle molding.

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:49:34 pm »
You will save a nice chunk of change doing it yourself and I encourage that but...  I make the assumption that folks do not have the resources to make their own.  I also assume that if one has the resources they will use them.  Chamfer, corner, or cove molding and the other methods such as string, or dowels are for those of us with few resources. 

Offline Captkaoss

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:53 am »
Thank you for the information, getting ready to start building my first hive in next few days

Ron

Offline pkalisz

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:31 pm »
Thanks for all of your videos - they are helpful.

Offline fivecats

• New Bee
    • Franklin, Ink
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:55:47 am »
Dave, thank you for this series of videos.  Your explanation of the process and details as to the whys of what you were doing made them even more helpful than I had hoped.  I feel very confident that I can build a TBH myself now.  (I just have to find the money & materials!)

Great series!  The work you put into bringing them to us is very much appreciated.

anything