Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is meant by "powdered" sugar?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Darlene

• New Bee
What is meant by "powdered" sugar?
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:35:46 am »
I was reading in the Mann Lake catalog about Beekeeper's Sugar and it said that this was what beekeepers mean when they say "powdered" sugar and it is not the same as the powdered sugar I can buy at the grocery store.  I want to try the powdered sugar treatment for varroa mites but I'm confused about which type of sugar I can use.

As an aside, if the beekeeper's sugar is just a superfine regular sugar shouldn't I be able to just whirl some in my food processer until it is a powder and save a few bucks?

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 01:33:02 pm »
Hi Darlene
This method can be used during the active season but should not be used as the sole control method as it will not effect mites in the cells. It should also be used in conjunction with mesh floors.
This method is very labour intensive and has to be repeated several times it is only suitable if you have a few hives. Ordinary icing sugar is perfectly fine and cheaper.

Regards Ian

Offline gsferg

• House Bee
    • http://www.sweettimeapiary.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 01:45:50 pm »
shouldn't I be able to just whirl some in my food processer until it is a powder and save a few bucks?

Sure. The icing (powdered) confectioners sugar has some small amount of corn starch in it which isn't particularly digestable for the bees but apparently isn't a problem during flying weather.

I tried grinding some up in a blender, it took a long time to get fine enough. I suspect what I saved in money I took off the lifetime of my blender.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:35:11 pm »
The powedered sugar from the store works fine for mite treatment.  It doesn't work so well for feeding. In fact you can use flour for mite treatment if you want.

If you are going to FEED "powdered sugar" then I'd get the fine pure sugar you're talking about.  The bees will eat it much more readily than granulated.  And, as mentioned, you can use a blender on your regular granuated to make your own in small quantities.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything