Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead lavae on landing board  (Read 2029 times)

Offline JMN

• New Bee
Dead lavae on landing board
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:59:26 am »
Hello everybody.  I am new to the board and new to beekeeping too.  I have 2 hives, one is doing great. On the other one I just noticed a couple dozen dead, what looks like larvae, on the landing board.  Is this normal?

Also, it looks like both hives have a problen in drawing out the Pierco frames going on 3 weeks.  The original 4 frames from the nuc are all filled up and new bees are emerging.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Of all the things I lost, my mind is the one I miss the most. B1mg379

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Re: Dead lavae on landing board
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:36:28 am »
Lol, welcome to beekeeping.

A good thing you should keep in mind is that a few dead bees anywhere is normal. These things happen. About the foundation, it takes a while for a new hive to start building if  A. Population is down, B. There are few stores for them to build more foundation, C. Queen doesn't need more room

I wouldn't worry about it. If there is brood, and there is food stores, just let them do their thing. You could feed them to increase the building of foundation, but thats your decision.

Jake

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 02:17:33 pm »
Normal hygenic behaviour. Particularly after an inspection, they remove some of the larvae you killed inadvertantly.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »
I agree with Konasdad, normal hygenic behavior.  As long as the amount of dead brood is small there should not be a problem.  If the amount is moderate to large, in your estimation, then you might want to explore the possibility of treating for chill brood, sac brood and other such problems. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JMN

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 03:02:01 pm »
Thanks to all for the input, but what would you call moderate or large amount of dead larvae or bees? Dumb question, huh?

I just realized what could have caused the problem.  I made a mistake of putting 9 frame spacers in the brood chamber, but when I was told that this is wrong, I replaced the hive and put in 10 frames.  There were some burr combs built and I may have (for sure) squeezed the combs.  Now I feel quilty for killing all those future bees. :'(

Joseph
Of all the things I lost, my mind is the one I miss the most. B1mg379

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:38:44 pm »
Some hives love to build burr comb.  Yesterday I cut some out of one of my hives and found a brand new not yet used queen cell on the bottom side of the bridge between frames.  I cut it out.  I also noticed that a second supercedure cell had been started dead center on an adjacent frame.  The funny thing is that this particular hive is doing the best out of the 4 packages I bought.  But bees are funny when it comes to supercedure--then again it might be an insurance policy type queen.  I left it along and will check in a week to see what's up.

Bees will usually rear drones in burr comb.  It is good that the bees are showing the hygenic behavior after having some brood damaged while removing burr comb and tightening up the brood area.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!