Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Young Harris Beekeeping Institute - who's going?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Young Harris Beekeeping Institute - who's going?
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:27:05 am »
I know there are a lot of Georgia beekeepers on this forum - please chime in if you are going to Young Harris - we ought to try to meet each other in person.

I have no idea how big a group it will be, and maybe it will be small enough that we will be obvious to each other, but I'd love to meet those of you who are on this forum.  I know Rusty (GTBee) is going, I am going, I saw that GAKaren is going and soilserf - who else?

Maybe we could all eat lunch together on Friday in the middle of the course?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline soilserf40

• New Bee
Re: Young Harris Beekeeping Institute - who's going?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:28:58 pm »
Linda T. 

Sounds good to me!

Charles Britt, Douglasville

Offline GAKaren

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:02:46 pm »
What a good idea, I'd love to meet up.  Friday lunch would be great.

Karen

Offline GTBee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:59:32 am »
I'm  always interested if it pertains to food.  Question, is everyone driving up Friday morning or are you spending the night on Thursday?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:54:34 pm »
I have a house in Rabun Gap and am staying there from Wednesday until Friday morning.  I'm driving over at the crack of dawn on Friday.  I think we only have an hour for lunch on Friday - which probably means fast food in Young Harris - I looked on the Internet and don't see any restaurants there although you'd think they'd at least have a BBQ joint!!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:30:52 pm »
I may be in Georgia Friday, what is this about?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:47:41 pm »
http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/Meetings/workshops.htm

The course is in Young Harris, GA near the GA/NC line.  Here's the description:
The UGA honey bee program offers the annual Beekeeping Institute in cooperation with Young Harris College. Since 1992 the Institute has represented the single most comprehensive opportunity in the Southeast for concentrated training in all aspects of practical beekeeping. Held on the beautiful campus of Young Harris (GA) College in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Institute is a two-day event with lectures and workshops by leading authorities on honey bees. There are separate curricula for beginners and more experienced beekeepers, as well as fun optional activities such as a competitive honey show, gadgets display, and practical examinations. It has become a tradition to include an ice cream social complete with a local bluegrass band.

It's the training track for the GA Master Beekeeper program.  The first level (which I will be going for) is the Certificate (Beginner) level involving classes on Friday and Saturday as well as a written and practical exam.

Linda T eager to be in the N GA mountains

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:56:51 pm »
darn sounds nice. I don't think I would be able to give up that much work. I will have to remember that for next time.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline GAKaren

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 03:44:57 pm »
The college cafeteria will be open on Friday, I called this morning to check, forgot to ask about Saturday.

I'm driving up after work on Thursday and have hotel reservations in Blairsville.  Leaving from the Spaghetti Junction area and not looking forward to the northbound traffic out of Atlanta, I normally travel south.

Karen

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:38:03 pm »
The college cafeteria is probably the fastest and we'll have more time to talk and get to know each other. 

Now I'm intimidated - it's one thing to write about all the crazy stuff I do on this site and another thing to meet in person  ;)   This will be an adventure. 

I already know Rusty (GTBee) and he and I have been part of a program together in which we each had to tell our beekeeping first year goof-ups so he, at least I'll be able to find.  I assume we'll all have name tags - And there may not be too many of us in the beginner group - I think there are 150 participants in the whole thing - but some are going for Journeyman, whatever the next thing is, and master Beekeeper.

Any ideas about how we should meet - by the door to the cafeteria?  carry red bandanas?  ??????

Linda T a little scared of the Institute in the N Ga mountains

Offline soilserf40

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 10:43:58 pm »
I am sure we will have name tags, it will all work out.

CB

anything