Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tough MI winter going down to -10 tonite windchill -30  (Read 3032 times)

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
Tough MI winter going down to -10 tonite windchill -30
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:44 am »
Hello fellow beekeepers,

being my 1st winter I don't know what the bees can endure.
I was thinking of hanging a trouble light under the hives tonight, what do you think??

Paul

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Tough MI winter going down to -10 tonite windchill -30
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:59:12 am »
They can usually handle it fine, provided they have enough food and a wind break.  It is only for a few days.  I'm not going to do anything special with my hives.

My trouble with rigging stuff up quickly is there there can be unintended consequences, too much heat, too much light, etc.  I end up breaking things worse when I try to intervene. :roll:

Rick
Rick

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:07:32 pm »
That's
My trouble with rigging stuff up quickly is there there can be unintended consequences, too much heat, too much light, etc.  I end up breaking things worse when I try to intervene. :roll:

Thanks Rick,
Thats what I was thinking, I'm afraid to intervene also. I built a good windbreak around them so that's not a factor.
I'll just let them bee and wish them luck!

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:41 pm »
It cold here to in MA.  Last night the wind really kicked up around 3AM.  I mean REALLY kicked up.  It woke me up out of a sound sleep.  All I could think about was the poor girls out there.  Nothing much you can do but hope and wait.  If they are healthy and have stores and they can get to  them they should be okay.  I find myself rooting for global warming on nights like this. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »
do you have screen bottom boards? if I lived in that temp I would close them bottom boards off if not they should be ok from what others say, I shouldn't even post on this because I wouldn't live long there either, down here it will be 12 degrees plus friday and thats to cold for me  :-P .
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:58:28 pm »
Its already 7 degrees here, been like tht for couple days now. last time I checked the girls were doing fine, its next month I am worried about. that will be the breaker. if they have enough food, I'll start to feed them any  day now. soon as it warms up a bit.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:49 am »
Yeah, I always close the screened bottom boards in the fall.  But that is such a long time ago I didn't even think about that. :roll:
Rick

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:17:35 pm »
Were havin a heat wave, a tropical heat wave!!!!!  As the song from grumpy old men goes.  It a balmy 4 degs out.   I know its not the heat its the humidity

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:01:35 pm »
Both my hives also have SBB.
I closed them up in the fall as well. On the few warm days we've had, I pulled them out and open up the front entrance.
Then I can check the death rate by pulling out the dead ones. I leave it open for half the day then close them back up.
Last warm day was almost 70 I think?

They came out bigtime! like a swarm in front of the hive......they pooped everywhere! :shock:
I was out there observing them.....or ya' know just kinda' hanging out with them, and i had my bee jacket on....... yeah, it's gonna need a good washin'
Yikes! I had no Idea what a mess they could make!

Great to hear from fellow Michiganders!....oh and everyone else as well....of course!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:10:52 am »

They came out bigtime! like a swarm in front of the hive......they pooped everywhere! :shock:
I was out there observing them.....or ya' know just kinda' hanging out with them, and i had my bee jacket on....... yeah, it's gonna need a good washin'
Yikes! I had no Idea what a mess they could make!

Great to hear from fellow Michiganders!....oh and everyone else as well....of course!

Yeah I did that last spring too...wheweeee....them girls can sure put up a stink!  Probably not going to do the same thing again.
Rick

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:11:48 pm »
It's 5 out there right now (Louisiana MO)but got to 57 last Friday. They were all out having a great time. I was standing about 15 feet away leaning on my walking stick and watching them when wham-o, right on the side of the forehead. Didn't even see her coming, I think she came in butt first. For me that is the earliest in the year that I have ever taken a hit. But all in all, it was worth it to see which hives were flying the most.

Dennis

Offline Steve M.

• House Bee
    • Maine Homesteading
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »
We were hit with some really cold weather last night here in Maine.  When I woke up this morning the outside temp. was -28.5 deg. F.  That is without the wind!  We haven't had that kind of cold for quite a while!  I haven't checked on my bees for a few weeks now...trying not to mess with them...I will go up in a few days and listen, but won't do anymore than that.

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 08:01:51 pm »
I can't remember the last time it got above freezing. I am using Beemax so this will let me know if I have to sell my truck to buy lots more Beemax deeps, I hope so. They have flowen out the frount several times. but it has been so cold 3 or 4 feet is all they get. Lots of black dots in the snow. I have SBB but did not close them up, set them on 4x4's on the ground. With all the snow there is not much of a draft. We got another 2 feet of snow tonight so the wind is not so bad.  Come on spring.  Tony