Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All but grown up Muscovy ducklings, et al  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
All but grown up Muscovy ducklings, et al
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:40:26 am »
Well, well, well.  I think that Muscovy duck babies are the fastest growing things on earth.  The pictures of the young ducks are the same age as the pictures of a few of the young turkey poults.  The ducks appear almost full grown, the turkeys have months to go before they look like adults.

There are 9 ducklings.  Of those 9, there are 8 drakes and one duck.  The duck is pure white, the drakes are many colours, including one that is pure white except for a bit of a black cap on his head.  Oh they are beauties.

We have baby Muscovy ducks coming out our ears and more to come, eeeks!!!  Cookie is sitting on 20 eggs, hers should hatch in a couple of weeks.  About 36 in the incubator, I have lost count of those, due to hatch on Saturday and about 30 more that I put in the incubator the night before last.  Not sure what we are going to do with all of them, hee, hee.  Anyone want ducks?

Now the turkey poults, they are the ugliest things that I have ever seen.  They will grow up to be beautiful, but they are not the nicest looking bird for surely, and the squeaks and squeals that they make make ya shiver.  They are so noisy and loud, and man, I can hear them squeaking all the way up to my house when they can't find their mother, the one that is not brooding on eggs, if she is not in their sight.  Very dumb birds, I must say.

Enjoy these pictures, and have the most wonderful and beautiful day, lovin' and livin' our lives like there was no tomorrow.  Cindi

Faya and her babies

The poults and mamma having a dust bath on the chicken hill.

The chicken that was born with the turkey babies, still thinks it is a turkey, but has passed on by with its size, looking off into the wild blue yonder.....

A couple of the poults

And lastly, Creekity Creek.  A rose comb Banty.  I think I have identified his breed, he is a Belgium Quail Banty. He is a friendly dude, he hangs out, loves our place and loves to fly up on things to make his rooster call.  I think it gives him power to be up high to crow, his crow is certainly not the gargantuous one that Roquefort and Antonio have, he must do something to make himself known and heard, hee, hee.  He must have mated with one of the great big brown hens, because one of the eggs that hatched out of the big brown chicken eggs in the incubator was small and a black coloured chick, it always was smaller and is still smaller.  I know that I didn't put any Banty size eggs in there, so it will be interesting to see what the adult bird looks like, hee, hee.  Beauty.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: All but grown up Muscovy ducklings, et al
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:51:15 am »
Cindy, I haven't had duck since your last vacation, thanks for the pics, helps me size up my next victims!! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:46:36 am »
Cindi, those ducks are so pretty.  The striped ones look like barred rock chickens, very interesting to see the color combinations!  Love the white one, they truly look feminine & graceful..Richards behind is interesting.. :evil: Funny how the poults take so much longer to mature, their feathers are still fluffyish. These are still all from Whoppo? It's going to be a beautiful day & warmer so out I go before the heat sets in.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:07:33 pm »
Creekity Creek.  A rose comb Banty.  I think I have identified his breed, he is a Belgium Quail Banty.

He does look like a Belgium Quail except for the coloring.  Pure bred Belgium Quails are of the "Patrigde" coloring, Creekity Creek has too much red and not enough Partridge plumage on the breast.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:47:35 am »
Amazing pictures!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:58:19 am »
Jody, yep these are still Whoppo's babies.  All the rest of the clan that will be born will be Sir Drake's.  It will be interesting to see what colours Sir Drake's are.  Whoppo has thrown some very beautiful offspring.  I just wonder why the so many different colours.  Weird.

Brian, rats...just when I thought I figured out what Creakity Creek is.  I bet he is probably just a cross of something or other.  But he is a fine dude, and very friendly, I like that.  The other banties are freaks, the second they see you they run like the dickens, you think they would think that they are going into the stew pot or something.  Well, maybe they will, I don't actually like the Banties, excpet for one, she is C.C.'s offspring, and she is not terrified of people like the other three are.  Haven't found a use for the Bantys yet except to annoy me, hee, hee.  Beautiful and wonderful day, loving this life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:38:08 am »
Cindi, my Big Momma was a Bantie something.  She was so friendly, would follow me everywhere.  When she got broody she would sit on rocks..she was the one hatched out the duckling.  It was so funny to watch her running around clucking & scolding all worried when it would play in the mud & water. Have a great time this weekend!  I'm gonna try to post some pics too, the water lilies are blooming in the pond!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:37:08 am »
Jody, oh that poor chicken, she must have been at her witts end, worried about her baby playing in the water, she surely must have tried to teach it that chickens don't play in water.  That must have been funny.....love these threads of the farmyard critters.  I would love to see pics of your place, girl, bring 'em on!!!

We had a hen go broody and stuck a bunch of banty eggs under her.  She has 9 of the cute little things.  Of course they are very teeny tiny compared to her, but what the hey.  Banties bring big dollars at the auction, that is where they will go.  I have no clue why, I think bantys are pretty much useless.  Not to be mean, but what do they do but lay little tiny less than mouth-sized eggs.

I know the cluck cluck sound the mother makes.  That is all that this hen does, clucks all day long, I would think she would get sick of saying only one word, weird, hee, hee.  She is a pretty little thing though, she is kind of white with a few black speckles on her back, it makes her look kind of dirty, but she is the only hen that has gone broody here.  I wonder why that.  I thought hens loved to brood.  Oh well, they are great egg layers, if anything, just baby chicks that we raise in the incubator and then raise on our own, too bad.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, love and live our great lives.  Cindi