Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Muth Jars  (Read 19194 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Muth Jars
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »
Muth jars sure give honey and old fashioned ''holsum" look.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 12:20:23 am »
Kathy, I definately know I can get them cheaper, I just think these jars are WAY cooler looking.

I'm a city boy who buys pretty urine, so I guess maybe I just represent the average sucker around where I live haha.

I am always attracted to special packaging, and I admit that I pay extra for it also

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 02:18:41 am »
I love them and they sell well and I sell them for a premium to cover my cost in jars.  I usually sell them crystalized.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 10:14:59 am »
Michael thats EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing.

I'm glad to hear that people are doing this successfully!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 10:18:06 am »
Obviously it would be my assumption that you pour the honey in and let it crystalize in the jar?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline kbfarms

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »
Last year I sold these jars (8 oz) for $7.00 each at craft shows.  I antiqued some paper, made little cards out of the paper and hand stamped bees on the  cards with the appropriate info inside at christmas shows. They sold.  I think I have about six left.  Will probably buy more this year and do the same.  I went for the primitative look, same with candles. 

Offline kbfarms

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:53 pm »
Forgot to add, get the shrink wrap to go around the cork, that way you don't have to worry about leaks, plus it looks more professional.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 01:29:20 am »
>Obviously it would be my assumption that you pour the honey in and let it crystalize in the jar?

I set them on the window sill in the fall and winter and they are cool enough to crystalize quickly and smoothly.  Optimum is 56 F.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:00 am »
WOW KB!  Thats great!  I had a similar idea in mind with a tag, but I'm going to put random bee facts pertaining to that 8 oz of honey...such as estimates of how many flowers had to be pollinated in order to produce it and so forth.

I would love if people bought my honey, and learned from it!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 09:13:32 am »
KB.  How many jars did you start with and how quickly did they sell?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 12:14:08 pm »
TMH--I think the jars are beautiful and really like your idea about educating about bees on the label. I think people are absolutely willing to pay for beauty and information, plus it's another chance to put in a plug for bees. The more people learn about these incredible creatures, the less likely they are to reach for a can of Raid when they see them...

I'm thinking about trying out those jars, too. I don't anticipate that much honey, starting fresh on packages again this year, but even 4 quarts would go quite a way in jars that size.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline kbfarms

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »
I started with 36.  They were at 4 shows.   These were small town shows with surrounding rural areas in an economically depressed area.  They would have sold faster in shows in larger cities.  The only reason the six did not sell is that I pulled them because I found out I did not have all the state required information for selling honey (should have looked earlier) and I had labled it organic....should have said natural instead.

I don't use chemicals but have come to the conclusion that bees can pickup chemicals while out after looking at my surrounding area on goggle earth.  There are some AG plantings within two miles of my hives,  so I didn't want to be dishonest about the product.

I'm going to redo my tags to ensure all the state required information is present.   The bee facts sounds like a great idea, wonder if I could squeeze one fact on each tag???

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 11:30:21 am »
I'm curious, is there a "history" behind the Muth Jar?  Does anyone have something available I can read about it? 
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 01:49:11 pm »
My Muth Jar,not sure of age. label was from Wisconsin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:16:51 pm by buzzbee »

HoneyBeeJammed

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 09:07:25 pm »
I don't know if this will help anyone on this topic or not. But, I sell my 8 oz jars at craft shows for $12 each during the end of year holiday season and I can not keep them on the table.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 04:47:46 am »
 :) When I package my honey in expensive containers I like to share the extra cost with my customers  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 12:17:40 pm »
History of Muth Jars...cool it's from my neck of the woods. Also, friends of mine are antique local jar collectors, I'll ask them about Muth. I doubt they collect Muth, but they'll know who does if anyone is interested.

Southwest Ohio has a unique place in beekeeping history. The inventor of the modern movable frame beehive, Lorenzo Langstroth, was from Philadelphia, but he moved to Oxford in 1858 after his brother-in-law gave him property there. The home where he lived for 28 years and where he researched and bred Italian honey bees was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1982, and it is now the home of Miami University's Center for the Enhancement of Learning, Teaching and University Assessment. This Dec. 25 marks the bicentennial of Langstroth's birth.

Charles Muth of Cincinnati, one of the biggest sellers of honey in the country in the 19th century, was a close friend of Langstroth. Muth had a large apiary consisting of between 26 and 40 Langstroth hives on the roof of his beekeeping supply store on Central Avenue. He sold his honey in squarish glass jars stopped with cork, now called Muth jars.

Offline Zeevah

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »
*bump*

Hi, can someone tell me what the size (height/width) of the 8 oz and 1 lb Muth jars are?

Thanks! :)

Offline garys520

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »
I picked up 8 cases from Brushy Mt.  After shipping they cost $1.77 each.  I've been getting $11 for them and they sell fast.  They really look nice with a label that is attached by decorative thread.   They take a little more honey than a standard honey container, even though they're labeled One Pound of Pure Honey. 

Offline blueskybeesupply

• Brood
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 09:05:21 am »
We redesigned the 4 oz. Muth jars this year and are happy to bring them back to the market after a few years off. You can buy them from most suppliers by the case and from us in pallet quantities.

anything