Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Still Think General Gets The Most Exposure  (Read 18665 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Still Think General Gets The Most Exposure
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 07:32:33 pm »
   ....Uh huh..... :)
 What caught my interest here is where Shawn mentioned something about "Highlighted in Orange".This sounds interesting and I dont remember seeing anything like that..Do you think i have something disabled?
 Also, I read just about EVERY post!..Never can tell what you might find! And, like others here, (Thanks to Cindi helping me on this) I first go to "New Replies to my posts" then to "New posts since last visit".
 I'm hoping to go back to the sting pictures soon! Those pictures STILL are the FUNNIEST things I've ever seen! :lol: I need a camcorder set up when I'm viewing these pics!..That'll be as funny as that kid i saw on another video beating on his keyboard like theres no tomorrow over a video game malfunction!

Ok,...Time to eat!

your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 07:43:30 pm »
I was interested in that also. Highlighted in Orange" What does he mean about that. Where is that located???

Thanks
Annette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:06 pm »
Highlighted in Orange" What does he mean about that.

On the main forum index -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php

If the cell on the left of the forum is orange, it means there are new posts in that forum.  If the cell is grey,  there are no new posts.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 09:19:29 pm »
Ohhhhhhhh....
I never even noticed that before!
thanx Robo!!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 11:23:20 pm »
Hey Rob, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Wahhhhhhhhhh!  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 11:45:26 pm »
Ya I have firefox also and I have high speed internet and the removal section takes a while to load for me as well. That was another reason why I had always just posted it in the general section. As when the removal section was all the way at the top and not linked like it is now in he general section (which I like please dont change it just make the map load faster or something) I allways forgot it was there. And if it was not for Jps posts and other removal posts in the general section I would have never learned to do a cut out by looking at all of yours pictures. As the removal section was always hidden to me in no mans land at the top of the page. At first I thought it was just for advertising as it asked if you needed a removal. That is why I had posted to general and with others posting there I thought it was the norm.

I thank you for this forum and thank you again for moving the removal section to the general section at the top to better have access to it. As that spot gets the most posts and traffic and if it stays there it will get read more. My 2c worth. But then again my 2c usually dont amount to a hill of beans.  If the removal section stays where it is at with the thing in general for clicking on and the map is made to load faster or be a link to click on if we want to go to it then that would be so much better and so much faster. As it is a busy time of year for me in so many different ways. I have poultry hatching and breeding season. And now cut out calls and going to [ick up brood and bees. And getting my equipment put togather in time. I feel like a chickens with its head cut off. Oh ya and dont forget my CSA and the egg sales and hatching eggs sales. And planting for this summer crops. Just got done with 10 blueberries. And man I am tired. Making things simple and easy to use and see makes my life so much easier. As doing what I do and living with chronic pain is not a cake walk to say the least. I am usually on he cp after taking a muscle relaxer and 2 pain pills just to be able to sit.

Again thanks for all of your hard work.

Angi
just shoot me now because it seems that when it comes to internet I can never do anything right.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 01:42:15 am »
Angi:

we all aim to please here, to do otherwise goes against common sense. Everything though is truly trial and error, but the good news is the errors are few and when they happen we always learn from them.

About the "Commercial" aspect, you will NOT see a day when we have commercials here, that is a promise, so don't be reluctant to ever click on anything in the forums or my Beemaster.com site (sometimes I wonder how many forum members have ever actually made it to my web site - I like to think it is informative and entertaining, I sure have a lot of writing and images there. Now with Youtube and a dozen or so videos, I think I've got a good deal of info going, hope it all is enlightening to visitors :)

Best wishes in mastering cut-outs, it can be a nightmare at the flip of a switch, but it can also be very rewarding too!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 02:30:06 am »
[[/quote]

On the main forum index -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php

If the cell on the left of the forum is orange, it means there are new posts in that forum.  If the cell is grey,  there are no new posts.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
Annette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 07:50:16 am »
While we are all whining about load times and such,  I would also like to complain about how long your photo album takes to load JP.  Although I truly enjoy seeing your pictures I find it does take extremely long for the pictures to load, especially for their relatively smaller size.  Is this just me?  Or do others find it slow too? :'(
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 08:00:17 am »
While we are all whining about load times and such,  I would also like to complain about how long your photo album takes to load JP.  Although I truly enjoy seeing your pictures I find it does take extremely long for the pictures to load, especially for their relatively smaller size.  Is this just me?  Or do others find it slow too? :'(
I don't find his to load that slowly if I click on his link, but if a photo is embedded it takes a bit.  The worst of that, though, is Imageshack.  Sometimes the photo won't load at all if it's embedded in a post, and I can't view it without getting the URL of the photo, copying and pasting it into a new tab, and going to it direct.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 09:33:40 am »
Lets see, we have whining and photo issues. I will handle both right now.

Thank you to fark for the photo.

Buried somewhere in this discussion is the crumbs of what may be the fine tunning of good ideas and intentions.

The map for removal is a good idea. For those who exist on dial up or have DSL and a windoze computer with a bunch of items tunning in the system tray stealing resources. The map can take a bit of time to load. Maybe a whole 10 seconds maybe even gasp longer. However people want instant gratification.

However we have to be considerate of others, right?  Okay it's hard for me to say that with a straight face, but it's due to my course nature. However in this case there is some merit.

The map is a good idea. The topic divisions are a good idea so are the child boards. Although they may need some tweaking that is an ongoing process. A few years back there never would have been a CCD section.

The orange triangle for the link to the map is a great idea and helps people who need bees removed get in contact with someone. However they probably have little interest in the stories of bee removal. When someone wants bees removed they usually want to get in contact with someone quickly. Not read the stories about removal no matter how entertaining and informative they are. They just want bees gone. So I view the removal map as a public service.

Does it matter to me that it is in the removal section, no. But I am just one person. If the map were placed in a different child board of it's own would it matter. No not really. For those who want to share their experiences they don't need the map. They might know where they live.

Now the mods are volunteers and not even a lousy tax write off. So there will be no abusing the mods (even when they move topics), because torturing the mods is my job.  :evil:

Wait till I start that p0rn thread.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 09:58:40 am »

The orange triangle for the link to the map is a great idea and helps people who need bees removed get in contact with someone. However they probably have little interest in the stories of bee removal. When someone wants bees removed they usually want to get in contact with someone quickly. Not read the stories about removal no matter how entertaining and informative they are. They just want bees gone. So I view the removal map as a public service.

BINGO!   Your on the same page as me.   I'm thinking on putting the map on it's own page/tab like the donations page.  The orange triangle will link to that page.  The removal forum will be for removal stories and have a simple link to the map in case those in hysterics about getting bees removed end up in the removal forum.  Perhaps even make the removal a full fledge forum and not a child. We will see.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 01:50:44 pm »
I heard no whining or abuse, just discussion.

Thank you, Robo, for your work on this.  I'm sure you'll come up with a plan that works for everyone.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 02:37:50 pm »

Thank you, Robo, for your work on this.  I'm sure you'll come up with a plan that works for everyone.

No pressure there Robo. :)
All you have to do is make everyone happy.

For we are short of patience and quick to express our displeasure. :)
Are you done yet?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 03:18:13 pm »
I'd appreciate it, Brendhan, if you would stop interpreting my words.  I didn't mean any whining, nor do I expect anyone to 'make me happy'.  You are adding nothing to the discussion other than stirring a pot that has long been taken off the stove.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 08:47:21 pm »
I'd appreciate it, Brendhan, if you would stop interpreting my words.  I didn't mean any whining, nor do I expect anyone to 'make me happy'.  You are adding nothing to the discussion other than stirring a pot that has long been taken off the stove.

This is what happens when you feel everything is directed at you. Guess what it's not.
And you missed all the sarcasm which was in the comments and who made comments in the thread.

While we are all whining about load times and such,  I would also like to complain about how long your photo album takes to load JP.  Although I truly enjoy seeing your pictures I find it does take extremely long for the pictures to load, especially for their relatively smaller size.  Is this just me?  Or do others find it slow too?

That was a comment made by Robo, this morning. It had nothing to do with you. But you picked up on it. And replied to Robo's comment. I also replied to Robo's comment.
The word whining was used. I had some fun with it. I embedded a photo in the thread, a small but a photo none the less it would take an additional couple of seconds to load possibly. I am sure Robo caught the humor in it. That is who it was directed at. Not you.

However I also plugged in my opinion in the matter.

You walked into the lion's den with good intention I am sure. However what you said came off a bit comical in my head. Robo has stated he working on migrating to a new server.  A process I just got done doing for my server. I also do it for work so it can be very involved. That with all the "discussion" on the removal map, the general board exposure, and the removal child board and the intention of both Jon and Robo to try to work out this issue plus moderating the regular needs of this forum, I am sure it not without a bit of pressure or stress.

Your reply :

while not intentional came off with a bit of chutzpa. And I saw it as humorous. That is why in my reply I added the smiley icons. It wasn't a dig at your person just something you said that had unintended additional meaning to those of us in similar situations.

So relax, have a frozen margarita, and worry not. I am sure Robo has it all under control.

Hey Robo you done yet? You done yet? You done yet?  (touch o sarcasm there) ;) <-- icon used to indicate sarcasm. :)  <-- icon used to indicate humor

If the worst thing in this place is the discussion of a map and proper placement of posts we are doing pretty good.

We can always let the spam posters return. ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

No pressure there Robo. :)
All you have to do is make everyone happy.

For we are short of patience and quick to express our displeasure. :)
Are you done yet?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

This is what I responded to.  You quoted me, and you addressed my post.  Sorry if I thought 'everything was directed at me' (paraphrased).  No smileys need apply.  Now I'm done with this thread.  It should have been over four posts ago.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 01:53:36 pm »
yup.  putting the map where it would be easy for non-bee people to find, would be great.  i have sent a couple of people to it for removals that i could not do, but i had to give them the exact link.  it seems to be a little hard for people not familiar with the forums, to find.

i think you mods do a great job.  you have saved me from myself more than once :-).  there is no cure for over sensitive people, but you manage to handle it all well.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »
Kathy:

I've described finding the removal map a few times like this.

Go to Beemaster.com, click the big forum link on the right top of the screen and then the triangular link on the forum page also in the upper right corner. I can add a SWARM REMOVAL link on my home page and then you only need say go to beemaster.com and click the swarm removal link, I think that might make it easier  :roll: Guess I could have saved you some navagation by doing that. I'll have it on there today!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 04:19:56 pm »
aren't we a fun bunch?   :evil:

that will make it easier and might lead more people to the page even without our help!

thanks.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.