Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Burlap material  (Read 18642 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Burlap material
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 01:19:25 am »
dont see any walmart ether :-D  -got to go to placervile for the pine needels  :lol:  nice rainbow - RDY-B

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 01:20:53 am »
Pine needles  :? Do you see any trees out there

Haha! Beautiful photo!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 01:25:55 am »
OK here is the other end

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 01:27:30 am »
ya but now we now where you keep the GOLD :-D RDY-B

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 01:29:51 am »
ya but now we now where you keep the GOLD :-D RDY-B

You can't see my house in that picture. It's behind the camera.

OOOppps  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:27 am »
the safes not in the trailer :?  8-) RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 10:13:07 am »
Jerry, simply an astounding picture, so beautiful.  There is something about the countryside that holds an intrigue for me.  This type that you live with, the view for miles around, without anything to obscure the vision, I like that.  Do you live in a area that has any mountains nearby at all?  I like mountains, but we have too many, and we live to close to one, that makes our little spot on earth very cold and rainier than say, the other side of the river, in the flatlands.  Nice picture.  Have a great and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 12:34:05 pm »
Some of the old bags had a smell to them a bit like diesel fuel that I think was some kind of treatment so they wouldn't rot.  None of the burlap I've bought at the fabric stores have that smell and it has worked fine for me.  None of the coffee bags I've gotten have had that smell either and they have also worked fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:24 pm »
i'm sure it's fine also, but washing it won't hurt.  a little bleach in addition to the detergent won't hurt.  don't need a huge amount. 

one thing about washing burlap...i have don't it when i got some that was pretty dirty....it sheds!!!!  if you can dry it outside, do so.  if you have to use the dryer, clean the lint trap often as it drys.

my coffee bags smell like coffee.  it's great!  :-)

pine cones (the small ones) work also.  the advantage to the burlap is that it doesn't leave the residue that the pine leaves.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 02:06:02 pm »
RDY-B.

Yes, I worked with Randy Oliver 2 years ago and he showed me the pine needles he uses and told me how he gets them.  I will consider this at some point. Have to gather them in the fall, I believe.

Anyway, thank you all for the good info on burlap. I really believe this burlap to be OK and do not detect any unusual smell, and my nose is very sharp. I will, though, throw it in the wash as it cannot hurt either.

Thanks for all the help, which I so much appreciate

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 02:23:45 pm »
Cindi,
There isn't any mountains around anywhere. The only trees here were brought in by the white man. A story from the past is when the white man first started crossing these flat grounds they would pile up buffalo bones real high and then continue west. When the first pile was at some distance they would then make another pile. And so on and so on. This was so they would have some land mark to find their way back.

Offline Alan Forbes

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »
Many plumbing wholesalers (at least where I live) use burlap bags for material handling.  I'm a plumbing contractor and when I get a delivery, the materials often come in these bags.  You might want to check with a local supply house; they might sell you some.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:44 pm »
OK, got a trivia question, maybe someone will know the answer.  Burlap sacks, gunny sacks.   It seems to me that when I was a young girl my Dad would speak of the gunny sacks.  Is that just old timer jargon, or does "gunny" have a distinct meaning?  Best of a great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 11:20:51 pm »
Burlap bags and Gunny sacks are the same thing. Burlap bags hold potatos. Gunny sacks hold small children in gunny races at fair.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 11:40:46 pm »
Brendhan, oh man, you are some whacky dude, but you make me wanna laugh.  You have this side to you that just makes one go, huh?   :roll: :shock: :? 8-)  Love it, and I love your mannerisms.  Have a great and wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 08:59:15 am »
Yes, I worked with Randy Oliver 2 years ago and he showed me the pine needles he uses and told me how he gets them.  I will consider this at some point. Have to gather them in the fall, I believe.

Annette, we use pine needles, there's a compost area behind the hive where there's always plenty of them ready to pick up and use.  They work well, they're close by and they're free, so if it's free it's for me!  ;)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:57 am »
Gunny sack:  I was going to say it is what Army puts their gunnys in to keep them dry... :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunny
Rick

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 11:32:26 am »
Have you ever heard of "toe sack" or some spell it "tow sack".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 10:56:29 pm »
Jerry, nope not me, nope, never heard of that toe sack.  Best of a great day.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 11:11:38 pm »
Poke Salad Annie. Picks herself a mess of Poke Salad and carries it home in a toe sack.....

Never heard that song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw&feature=related

anything