Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey harvest results for 2009  (Read 18684 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Honey harvest results for 2009
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 09:29:08 pm »
How are the PA beeks doing this fall?  I checked my outyard last night.  They are starting to fill the supers with Goldenrod.  Not as much as I thought there would be but we have about 3 more weeks before I have to pull.  Farmer's Almanac is expecting an Oct 9 frost this year.   :-x
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2009, 09:10:46 am »
My boxes are finally filling. Most are real heavy,but a few are light.Things look much bettter now than two weeks ago! :)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 07:38:06 pm »
I have 4 hives that I harvested off of this year. 2 were splits I did in June. I ended up with 230# and should harvest 3 more mediums at the end of the month. All in all it was a very good year- I just hope they can make it through another Wisconsin winter. This is my 6th year with bees and my second complete year using no chemicals.

Offline Erich

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 12:07:54 am »
From 3 colonies, two were first year packages, I received 228 lbs. after having a good friend do the extracting for me. Best year ever for me. :)

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 11:46:26 am »
single hive - ended up with 7 medium frames - about 25 pounds total.  the bulk was done as cut comb - the final 5 pounds was strained with cheese cloth.  it's better than the zero i thought i was gonna get with all the wet weather we had ad some problems with ants and other critters.  hoping to add another hive next season and hopefully i be about to get three times as much as i got this year.

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 05:36:26 pm »
A decent year in NW Iowa   1540 pounds off of 16 hives  96 pound average.   I am very happy

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 03:34:04 pm »
One hive, started this year.  Took 30 lbs.  I'm a little light for the winter, but I'll feed to make up.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2009, 07:38:38 am »
a decent year in NW Iowa   1540 pounds off of 16 hives  96 pound average.   I am very happy

Congratulations, that was a good harvest....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline syphon1

• New Bee
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:54 am »
I extracted 1800 lbs from 8 hives in central Alberta.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 01:22:28 pm »
Good grief, Syphon!! May I move my hives up to your area? :D

I had 2 packages in topbars this year. I pulled off about a square foot of comb honey and then crushed and strained between 2-3 quarts in addition. I'm guessing about 10 lb total. Not a lot, but it was the best honey I have ever eaten!

jdesq--Congrats on going chemical free! Being in WI, too, I would love to see how things go for you, as that is how I'm beeking also.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 06:33:13 pm »
syphon1,

how many years did it take for you to extract 1800 lb. of honey from 8 colonys?  Or is that a typographical error?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline syphon1

• New Bee
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:28 am »
gaucho10,
no its not an typo.  this kind of average is not too uncommon to achieve in Alberta.  My mentor did even better this year. he extracted over 300 lbs per hive from 120 hives.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:02 pm »
I thought that I did really well on my first year as a beekeeper 30 yrs. ago when I got 200 lb. of honey out of one hive.  And that was in the City!  That was only a one time thing and it never happened again.  You are lucky that you can get that much honey per hive.  Congratulations to you and the girls.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:44 pm »

Hello Everyone,
I've pulled off about 140 lbs from 4 hives, well I lost one some where in the middle due to swarming and subsequent robbing and then wax moth infestation.
and then there were 3........
I had a little heart attack :( so the bees were on their own for awhile. (back in action now)

They have about 80 lbs each for winter and i have 12 frames full in the freezer for reserves.

Not a banner year,  but plenty for me as I just like to give it to family and friends. (for now)

Hope your bees are well,
Paul

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »
ALLRIGHT!!!!!! I just got my first harvest!!  I started with swarms and cutouts so I didnt think I would get anything the first year but one of my hives went Buster on me and filled up a med. super.  I did the crush and strain and am still waiting on the results but here is what I got so far.  They will make for GREAT christmas gifts. 

http://img34.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1080762k.jpg

Im soooo excited I LOVE my hobby!!
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 02:50:47 pm »
Collected 450 lbs from 5 hives back in August.

Gaucho, those way northern bees have 20 hours of daylight to forage, and endless acres of canola (is that the same as rape?) flowers to forage on.  I've read of 500,600, even 800 lbs harvest from single (probably double-queen) hives up there.

120lbs per hive for me here is a great hive.

Rick
Rick

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 03:11:24 pm »
Wow!!!!!   This is all news to me!!!!!   I allways thought that the southern bees had better honey flows compared to the northern bees because of an earlier and possibly longer warm weather.

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 07:22:22 am »
Wow. You guys are s-o-o-o fortunate. I would be excited to get 100 lbs per colony. The most I have gotten ever is about 60 lbs per colony. I am thinking I have the area too saturated. Next year I plan to plant clover and maybe start a second bee yard.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42:28 am »
First year results here...

This is from a new colony started from a package the first week in June.

I didn't weigh and haven't extracted yet. I pulled off 25 frames of capped honey about 3 weeks ago to reduce the colony back to 2 deeps for  the winter. Stuck the frames in the freezer for now.

Hard frost last night so that ends the golden rod. The girls were still bringing in pollen yesterday.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline LSBees

• New Bee
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2009, 12:11:34 pm »
Well we started with 2 swarms in May and didnt expect anything this year however the Lord blessed us with 7+ frames in a medium on the second swarm and it pulled in 2-1/2 gallons   8-)

anything