Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first Swarm of the year  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
My first Swarm of the year
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:16 pm »
Wish I had my camera but it was a tiny swarm they had already started putting wax on the branch. As most know we have had a rough time with weather this week in the south and that swarm had been stuck there for about 4 days. Yesterday was actually the 3rd day sense the home owner had called me the weather had just been to bad. Even yesterday the wind was around 20 mpg while I was cutting them down. They were swinging a good 2 to 4 feet with every gust :shock: I put the veil on because I was worried they would smack me in the face flopping around like that.

The swarm was around the size of 2 or 3 fist do yall think they can survive?  :?

Michael

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: My first Swarm of the year
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:41 pm »
Sure they will survive.   Feed them a little to give them a boost.  Gotta love them swarms.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:48:37 am »
Well I put 2 quarts of sugar water on the swarm tonight. Tomorrow I need to put the shb traps I should know I have lost enough swarms to shb.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »
Well I checked the swarm today No Eggs and I couldn't find the queen. Also they had not drawn out any comb and were filling all the drawn comb I gave them with the sugar water I had been feeding them.
Will check again wensday if no eggs will combine with a nuc.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:02:02 pm »
Slow down a bit and take a breath! :) The bees work on their schedule...not ours. Give them a week or so before doing any more checking to let them settle.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:18 pm »
I agree, sometimes checking on them too much will make a swarm abscond, at the very most I will only lift the top and peak in for a moment. Watching the landing board will reveal much about the hive. Bringing in pollen is a very good sign to look for. Also if this is an after swarm there will be a virgin queen in there, they are hard to see and will have to be mated before you will see any eggs.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:34:48 am »
I don't think they are leaving if they set on that branch for a week in the storms we had here winds 20 plus they are some home bodies. In my experience its not a good sign to find that they are not making comb especially when I have been pumping the sugar water to them.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:57:52 am »
they make comb as they need it.  you may have had a virgin in there and it takes time for her to get mated and start laying.  leave them alone for a bit and then go back and check.  i usually don't open a swarm for a week after i set them up. sometimes longer.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
Saw a little pollen going in yesterday so I am taking that as a good sign that there might be a queen in there. I just hope the top was okay I am using the coke bottle top feeder you know drill a 1 1/8 hole in the top and put a put a 20 oz or 1 litter bottle in the hole. The top was just wafer board with a heavy paint coat so I hope the paint kept the rain out last night.

anything