Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will japanese hornets hurt a hive  (Read 6262 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Will japanese hornets hurt a hive
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:20:58 am »
Hello

I was sitting looking at my hives today when i saw a japanese hornet grab one of my workers and kill her but before it could fly off i killed it. If the hornet left would it have brought back her sisters and attack my hive this is the second one i have killed.

Tom

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:00:27 am »
I believe the Japanese hornet is much like a hawk.  It will kill a worker bee and take it home to eat.  If there are a lot of them around and you only have one hive they may be a problem.  I've found they usually don't do much harm over all.  But then I live in a fairly moderate climate.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:04:53 am »
what is a Japanese hornet???

Surely not those great big killer hornets I've seen on TV where 30 of them wipe out a hive. I didn't think those were in the USA.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:32:07 am »
No way is this bugger here, better check again. These hornets can wipe out a colony in a few hours.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
hornet
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:48:48 am »
Not sure if it's the same or not but the Pest Control magazines were talking about a new Hornet that was an invasive last year. They are a cavity nester and quite agressive.
  The picture looks right, and they were described as looking alot like Cicada Killers. If it's the same critter they have spread as far north as Indiana. We have them around here.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:42:03 am »
so is the one in the picture sedated?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:42:58 am »
as for as I know we do not have Japanese hornets here in the USA, but we do have a European Hornet here that is still moving into new places, here a post I posted awhile back'''''

found one of these hornets flying around me to while I was cooking on the grill, its called the European Hornet and will attack a hive and eat everything. this thing is huge I knocked it down and put it in a jar... first one I ever saw...I thought it was a humming bird at first glance... had to seach the internet to see what it was and this was it

here's a quote from the site below >>>

Workers usually hunt active insects, which they masticate and feed to the larvae in the cells of the nest combs. They have been known to raid bee hives, taking the bees and their larvae and pupae as food, but leaving the honey

http://www.uark.edu/depts/entomolo/museum/crabro.html

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline tom

• House Bee
this is a japanese hornet
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 12:14:20 pm »
Hello

The picture is right they are the japanese hornet and they are around here. I have killed alot of them using my bottle catcher with sugar and bananna peels and water they seem to love it but i have only killed two at my hives i am going to make some more of my bottles and hang them in the trees. They are mean and i have seen them come to my big hive and try to catch a worker when her back is turned but i kill them but beware if they are around it is best to make some of those bottle  traps and catch them. I catch wax moths and all kinds of bee pest.

Tom

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: this is a japanese hornet
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 01:54:36 pm »
Quote from: tom
Hello

The picture is right they are the japanese hornet and they are around here. I have killed alot of them using my bottle catcher with sugar and bananna peels and water they seem to love it but i have only killed two at my hives i am going to make some more of my bottles and hang them in the trees. They are mean and i have seen them come to my big hive and try to catch a worker when her back is turned but i kill them but beware if they are around it is best to make some of those bottle  traps and catch them. I catch wax moths and all kinds of bee pest.

Tom

if your sure they are you need to get a few of the hornets and take to a university so they can do their investigation and put the word out about them being in the USA. if they are Japanese giant hornets someone should be told.... the University Of Georgia has not heard of a confirmed case of the Japanese Hornet in the USA... They are researching the European hornets movements....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline tom

• House Bee
This is what the old folks call them
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 04:47:27 pm »
Hello

All i know is what alot of people call them every since i was a small boy and when i asked some of my beek buddies they called them the same thing these things live in old hollow trees and old walls they are mean only when bothered but alot of people here has been killing them but as far i i know we call them japanese hornets.

Tom

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 04:55:51 pm »
You can not accurately tell the species of most any insect or arthropod by just a picture alone...   You would need to send it to a university for examination...  I highly doubt that it is the "japanese" hornet.  I would personally not except that it is until I viewed the results of the study...  Many different species of wasps and hornets look similar, if you are trying to tell one exotic invasive species from another more than a casual glance and some pictures is needed.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 05:45:31 pm »
The Brown Hornet often called the Japanese Hornet

http://www.vespa-crabro.de/hornets.htm

The real Japanese Giant Hornet

http://www.vespa-crabro.de/manda.htm

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:44 pm »
A face only a mother could love

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline tom

• House Bee
They look like twins
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 10:17:31 pm »
Thanks

I see that they are look alikes and i was wrong but if they were placed side by side they would be twins  i am glad you cleared it up for me.

Tom

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 10:21:51 pm »
Quote from: wayne
The Brown Hornet often called the Japanese Hornet

http://www.vespa-crabro.de/hornets.htm

that hornet you are calling the brown hornet is the European Hornet, you can tell by the dark tear drop spots on the rear end.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Amateurs built the ark,

anything