Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WOO HOO My first sting!!!  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: WOO HOO My first sting!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 09:13:23 pm »
You are lucky she stopped where she did. :)

Offline tct1w

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
Well my first sting was self induced. I had to get it over with and got a pair of tweezers and made one sting me. Thats been a few stings ago. I work alot without a suit or smoke so I get stung quite a bit. Lucky I dont have a bad reaction. The worst by far was when I flipped one of my hives on the ground and all I had on was shorts,tshirt and crocs. After about ten stings I called my loving wife for my jacket and a smoker. Then,didnt get my suit all zipped up and one got inside with me. Definetly a Youtube moment Cu Dave

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »

Ha Ha wonder what that would feel like :evil:

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 11:59:56 pm »

I think I would have made time to get her to get the sting overwith somewhere around the knee
be happy and make others happy.

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 12:21:34 am »
I guess I gave her about four seconds to do something with it, she just couldn't manage. - so I flicked her away stinger and all - I guess my arm was a little tough there because she couldn't dig it in and couldn't pull herself away either. - this hive has seems a little jumpy lately since they mobbed the dog twice during my inspection.

the girls do not like dogs ...

as for the sting

Since the tip of her sting is heavily barbed, the worker bee normally loses her sting when she impales an
enemy as she attacks in self-defense or in defense of the hive. Shortly thereafter she dies as a result of a
sizable loss of internal organs and tissue. If she doesn't lose her sting but empties the venom sac the
worker is unable to replenish the venom. Adult worker bees must eat pollen (bee bread), grow, and
mature before they have a full complement of venom. Venom gradually accumulates until the bees are
about 15 days old. Hence, young bees are unable to sting effectively

anything