Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best Paints For Hives  (Read 8362 times)

Offline Rhino86

• New Bee
Re: Best Paints For Hives
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 09:29:57 pm »
Painted the second coat over the weekend. Using watyl solar guard, no gaps anywhere to be seen in the second coat. I'll let it cure for a few days. Inside and out is a gloss finish. Might spray the next super.
Thanks for the tips.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 04:53:54 am »
Paint - I use "Resene" Hospital Grade and virtually no smell.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 07:24:02 pm »
The boxes i painted 5 years ago with water based paint and no treatment inside are now in various stages of decay,
I have other boxes painted with oil based which are fairing much better but i still didnt treat the inside and some moisture
has affected the insides, I would like to wax treat the inside and im toying with the idea of painting hot wax with a brush
this year , i have tried linseed oil mixed with turps this has helped  but i think the wax will be better.

Offline DocBB

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 01:07:08 am »
traditional Flour Paint

Recipe

Flour Paint Ingredients

Sold on the idea? Ready? Here are the ingredients you?ll need to make 10 liters (+/- 2.5 gal.) of Flour Paint, which will cover approximately 35 square meters (375 square feet) per coat. You can adjust the quantity according to your needs. Measurements are provided in both metric and US system for your convenience:

8 liters of Water (8.5 qt)
650g of White Flour (23 oz.)
2.5kg of earth pigments or iron oxydes (5.5 lbs.)
250g of Iron Sulfate (9 oz.)
1 liter of Linseed Oil (1 qt)
100ml of black soap or colorless dishwashing soap (3.4 fl.oz.)

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »
Wax dipped my first lot of boxes yesterday, then painted them, still hate painting. Also left a few unpainted to see how they go.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 09:59:38 pm »
Last summer, when putting boxes together I screwed one box together with no glue or paint. Took it of a hive at the end of winter showing obvious signs of warping, splitting etc.it's now back in the shed waiting repair. It was from a lot of cheap timber I purchased so was of the thought if it saved me time in construction and painting it might be worth it if I only go t a few years. I was wrong. "A job worth doing is worth doing well".

anything