Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Traps?  (Read 3377 times)

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
Swarm Traps?
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:34:42 pm »
I'm in Northeast Georgia, temps between 30 at night to 70 during the day, say an average day right now is ?55degrees?, when is it time to put out swarm traps?

I'll admit I'm asking this out of order - a honeybee landed on my shoulder today, she seemed to be scouting, I think she paused to pump her stomach out for more energy, and of course I got excited and put a deep out, facing south, with a lure and some drawn frames in it!!!  My girls were going ganbusters!!!  Getting excited for my second year!!!

Offline Maine_Beekeeper

• New Bee
    • Overland Apiaries
Re: Swarm Traps?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:47:13 pm »
Hello ccwonka -
It is much easier for you to "artificial swarm" your hive yourself (make a split and take the queen with you) than to pull the bees out of a tree.
Do you have the extra equipment ready?
How about your "swarm catching toolkit?"
From what I read your swarm season starts in about 2 weeks.
Good luck and have fun!

Looking forward to spring myself...
-Erin
EAS Master Beekeeper

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:13:59 am »
I really don't want to split my existing hive, want it as strong as possible. 
Last year I didn't take any honey so they'd make it through the winter and really want to make sure that I don't weaken them with a split. 
I lost one of two hives even without taking honey!!!  As it is, I have four complete hives - One with bees that have overwintered.  Two nucs coming shortly, and with the fourth I was hoping to catch a wild swarm - thus the inquiry!!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:46:43 am »
If your swarm season is in two weeks put them out in one week.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:00:16 am »
I have traps out now....who knows....I need some free bees.  I'm in South Georgia.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 08:13:06 pm »
mine have been out for 2 weeks
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:23:41 am »
I have had 2 swarm traps out for a while now.  I refreshed one with lemon grass oil today, and set out a deep with some foundationless used frames also with lemon grass next to the 3 colonies...

It was 1 year ago March 3rd that my prime hive swarmed.  Hopefully I have averted my 3 colonies from swarming as I put on and empty about 3 weeks ago, I am going to inspect tomorrow to see if they need more room or if there are any swarm cells.

I am mulling over the walk away split thing...hhhmmm.  May I make a split with an 8 frame?  How many frames of brood/honey/empties should I place in a box to do this???

Thanks,

Sharon

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:12 am »
Better to have them out sooner than later --- however I think you have a little more time before swarm season. I don't even have drone brood yet, but be ready!!!
John 3:16

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »
Inspected today...

Boiling with bees ( as Tillie says )...drone as well.  Plenty of everything!  They all look really vibrant  HORRAY!!!!!!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »
I have had 2 swarm traps out for a while now.  I refreshed one with lemon grass oil today, and set out a deep with some foundationless used frames also with lemon grass next to the 3 colonies...

It was 1 year ago March 3rd that my prime hive swarmed.  Hopefully I have averted my 3 colonies from swarming as I put on and empty about 3 weeks ago, I am going to inspect tomorrow to see if they need more room or if there are any swarm cells.

I am mulling over the walk away split thing...hhhmmm.  May I make a split with an 8 frame?  How many frames of brood/honey/empties should I place in a box to do this???

Thanks,

Sharon

How do you want to spllit, in half, thirds, quarters?  Another way is to take a single frame from several hives to make the split, that way you keep the parent hives strong and can build a stronger split at the same time.  The genetic diversity is also ensured that way.  You can split any 10, 8, or nuc if you want to, the principle is the same each time, just less frames to work with unless you're doing the multiple colony split.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 12:47:46 am »
yup, that fish pic is me and jp did take the photo, that was an average cobia. i have caught much larger!
jp and i will be going at them again soon and you would be welcome.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.