Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Odd Swarm  (Read 2342 times)

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
Odd Swarm
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:06:37 pm »
Got a call yesterday from a lady who said she had two swarms in yard.  Thought this was unusual but loaded up two single story hives and away I went.

When I got there the main swarm was on an Oak limb about 5" off the ground. Kind of small, maybee a pound and a half. Across the driveway about 20 feet was another small group of bee covering a hummingbird feeder.

Put my box down and misted all bees with some sugar water.  Took the hummingbird feeder down and swept them into the hive then shook the main swarm into the box. Put on cover and left them there till closer to dark.  Went back at 7:00 pm toclose up and bring home.  Bees had left hive and went back to limb and hook humming bird feeder was on.

Started over and got everything in box by dark. closed up and brought home.

Couple of questions.

1.  Was this two swarms or did bees split to go to the hummingbird feeder to eat?  The property owner said they had been there two days and stayed split even at night.

2.  I am sure limb was free of bees after first attempt to hive them so am confident that queen was in hive first time.  Why would they have left and went back to limb?

Never had trouble like this before.  Any ideas?

Johnny

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Odd Swarm
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 03:37:34 pm »
Two swarms.  If they were robbing the feeder I don't think there would be enough to shake off.

Either the queen(s) took flight or they didn't like their first impression of their new home.  Sometimes they need to be stuck there overnight or longer before they accept it.
Rick

anything