Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee lover in Maryland, Beekeeper to Bee  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Nyomomma

• New Bee
    • Not your Ordinary Momma
Bee lover in Maryland, Beekeeper to Bee
« on: June 09, 2010, 06:40:15 pm »
 :mrgreen: Hello Everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum a few years ago, and although I was interested in getting bees at that time. There was so much going on that I didn't feel I had the time to focus on beekeeping so I decided to wait.

I've always been fascinated with bees, read so much about them as a child and would watch them too. They are fascinating creatures. I don't have bees yet, still reading up on them, but will be getting them next spring. I'm really looking forward to adding them to our home. We live on 4 acres of land. I'm thinking of setting up their hive near the woods.

I know I'll have questions, even before I get the bees so I imagine I'll be popping by the forums and asking the questions if I don't see a post or arcitle about the subject.  :-D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Bee lover in Maryland, Beekeeper to Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:57:50 pm »
Welcome to the forums and thanks for joining. I hope you come and ask lots of questions. We all help as best as we can and hope for your success as a keeper!

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:05:52 pm »
When you do start next year I would recommend starting with two hives not one.  Also if you are going to buy your equipment, wait till november or december when all the major companies have specials and most have free shipping.  The shipping on bee equipment really hurts!!  I just started building my own boxes cause I got a fever or something and went from one hive this spring to six right now and am on the list to collect swarms in the county.  I have also been trying my luck with bait hives.  So far my bait hives have given me two swarms and I picked one up from inside a prison!  Prison bees!! 

Offline ldygardener

• New Bee
    • Logs End Living
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
Nyomomma hi from another new-bee in MD!  I too am in the research phase and hope to be acquiring my bees next spring!  I'd love to get a hive that has swarmed over buying a nuc but will do whatever I must.  I'm in western HoCo and have also recently joined their club.

Harvey, could you tell me more about the building of hives and what type you are making?  My dh is an incredible woodworker and I'd love to get him involved with my new found interest (above and beyond verbal support lol). He said that building hives could be something he could do over the winter.  I have looked at Top Bar Hives as well as Langstroth.

Offline Nyomomma

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:40:40 am »
Thanks so much for warm welcome...

Hi Harvey,
Thanks so much for the tips. I'll definitely check out the equipment this winter. I live near a local beekeeper, he was the one I contacted about four years ago. Both he and his wife was very helpful.

buzzbee,
Oh I'll definitely be asking questions. I still have a few beekeeping books, and you have so much information on this site. It will keep me busy for quite a while.

Hi Idygardener,
I'm in the White Marsh, I'm joining the Central Maryland Club. I checked their website so I'm looking forward to attending some of the local meetings, and interacting with people locally too.

When I was about seven years old there was a church member who had bees, I remember asking him tons of question. He had a picnic at his house, so my our family went. (I had been reading so much about bees, which is one of the main reasons my father brought my brother and I along.) I remember being the only person that was fascinated by his bees, and so I pestered him with questions. It's a good thing he didn't mind, so he was able to tell me a lot about his babies. I eagerly soaked it in. :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »
Just a quick note here. The warmer the climate, the better the Top Bar Hives work. Maryland is farther north than i would want to keep them. Langstroth is a much better choice for colder climates. Beginners will also make fewer mistakes with Langstroth. After keeping them for a few years, then you may want to try a TBH just for fun.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Nyomomma

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:49:00 am »
@iddee,
Thanks so much for saying that about the Top Bar Hives, I had seen those and was going to start a topic about them.
Although I'm itching to try building my own hive I think I might just wait and purchase a few this winter. :)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:44:59 am »
Welcome Welcome.. I work in Frederick, but live in PA.  Glad to hear you are so excited this is my first year and things are working out well.  I am anxious about my first problem but I have the boards for help.  Research is your friend I loved the library too had a good bit of the books people here recommend.  A local club is the best though.  Good luck and have fun.
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Nyomomma

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:47:25 pm »
Thanks for the welcome CV,
Yes, enjoying the forums. I had already had Beekeeping for Dummies but have also picked up Backyard Beekeeping, Honey Bees: Letters from the Hive, The complete guide to beekeeping for fun & profit: everything you need to know explained simply, Beekeeping, and A world without Bees. Those books, along with the bee sites should keep me busy for a while. :)

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:52:05 pm »
Nyomomma;   Welcome!   I don't know what critters live in the nearby woods that you are considering placing your hives near, but we had that option and decided to keep them nearer to our home due to bears, raccoons and skunks...   Also, too much shade can be a problem in the spring...   Have fun...   We are...
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     
http://picasaweb.google.com/1bigyeti/BeesOTheShire#

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 04:00:29 pm »
I lived in Baltimore for years, and would be really surprised if there were bears in White Marsh!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:07:58 am »
Hello Nyomomma. What part of Maryland are you located. I am in Hagerstown.

anything