Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what should I do?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline kattz

• New Bee
what should I do?
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:15:26 pm »
 Hello everyone I started my bees last May,today it was 90 degrees and I decided to check my hive from top to bottom. Here is what I found bottom brood box had 2 frames full of honey but the rest were empty wax cells. Top supper had 2 frames no build up of any, 6 frames had honey and then the other 2 had half honey and brood and the queen was still busy laying.
The strange thing is the bees had build wax cells on top of the regular wax cells so that it bulged out between frames. It looked like to me that she didn't have enough room to lay, so should I add another super or brood box? My bees have been bringing in pollen for about 2 weeks now and look like they have plenty of honey. Any advice I will surely appreciate.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »
If I'm understanding correctly, you have a 2 box hive and the bottom box is empty drawn combs with 2 combs full of honey? The top box is combs of honey and brood mostly? If this is so, I'd rotate the boxes, switching them to put the queen on the bottom. If the combs in the then top box are not drawn out correctly, then scrap them back with your hive tool so the bees can rebuild them out more correctly for you. If I've missunderstood  :idunno: what you have then please disregard this reply!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:04:41 pm »
Sounds like you need to pull a box or two. The one on the bottom you could put above the one w/ brood and queen, keep honey on outer edges and she'll move up into that box w/ drawn comb.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:27 pm »
Ray! where did you get that cool shirt?I get a catalog with tie die tshirts, but i dont remember anything like yours!
your friend,
john

Offline kattz

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
 I have the queen laying on the upper shallow super lhow can I get her to move down to the deep brood box? should I smoke them down and then put a queen extruder to keep the queen laying on the bottom
/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:49:23 pm »
i believe that they are telling you to move the queen box to the bottom.  put an empty (broodless) super above that box.  remove other boxes until bees have filled 70% or so of those 2 boxes.  the bulges on your frames are just from the bees having room.  you probably need to push your frames closer together.

don't get to wound up about it.  seems some queens just like to go up.  i have one like that.  you can fuss all you want and she'll still head up. 

you can remove the shallow super if the brood hatches out, or put an excluder between if you KNOW she is in the other box.  otherwise, i'd just leave them be.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:43 am »
Hi John!
My Mom got the shirt for me up in Oregon on one of her summer trips. It says Oregon Coast on it. That pic was taken in 2005 when I took a trip to Michigan to visit some friends from an internet chat room. 13 of us travelled and met at one's house and had a 1 week party over July 4th.  :-D

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07:14 pm »
Very cool Ray!
I met up with an internet chat friend all the way up near Montreal!
 I married her!.....10 years ago!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:24:48 am »
Very cool Ray!
I met up with an internet chat friend all the way up near Montreal!
 I married her!.....10 years ago!
your friend,
john

Does your wife know about this? :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:02 pm »
 :-D I dont know....My wife "Heartly" endorses the decision!( She told me to say that!LOL!

your friend,
john