Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NEWBIE ERROR LEADS TO MASS MURDER  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
NEWBIE ERROR LEADS TO MASS MURDER
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:43:39 am »
 :oops:

Well I read the " double swarm" thread and after having another look at my hive decided to super it...

Walked out yesterday late afternoon to see a swarm the size of a large rockmelon in my apple tree 1m from my 2nd hive... they were still there this morning so I rang a friend who agreed not an orientation must be due to overcrowding...

so I framed up my super, opened it up and took a nice frame of brood for the top ( ordered excluders still not here ) and placed it on top. All good - my hubby threw a plastic bowl at me to shake them into so I did and promptly threw them in... most started to explore the foundatio and I thought all was good till I came out 2hrs to check if they'd all gone in...

I tell you it was carnage - dead bees all out the front - bees fighting 1 on 1, bees fighting 3 on 1  :(

Obviously they weren't from this hive and I threw them to their death... can't believe a 3rd swarm has landed in my orchard....

My questions are... how much of an impact will it have on hive no's - the swarm I homed in that hive to start with was 5-6 x's the size...

Secondly, if I've just thrown a queen in there I take it they'll go head to head.. could they kill each other and leave me queenless???

I feel like a twit!  AND A MURDERER!!!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:58:19 am by Harpo »

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: NEWBIE ERROR LEADS TO MASS MURDER
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:42 am »
Great headline! You don't write copy for the local newspaper do you?

To start with I don't think you should put a swarm into an existing hive, the way it was explained to me was the existing colony are fighting for their home and stores while the swarm are not as aggresive because the don't have anything to defend. If you want to add a swarm to strengthen an existing colony then you need them established in a box and do something like a newspaper combine.

:oops:
can't believe a 3rd swarm has landed in my orchard....
Alright you've got a lucky orchard! :-D

I don't think you should have upset your hive numbers too much, at most you may have lost a number equal to the swarm you threw to their doom in, but probably a lot less. I would think the foreigners would either abscond or settle down after a while. Secondly I haven't heard of both queens killing each other, not to say it doesn't happen just that I haven't heard of it, either 1 will triumph or hopefully the hive has the resources to generate a new one. Was the queen laying in your hive do you know?

I feel like a twit!  AND A MURDERER!!!
That's a bit harsh on yourself; by all means feel like a twit but the murder was carried out by someone else. Manslaughter at worst! :-D

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:15:38 am »
Yeah well it's manslaughter en masse - I wonder how many years a bee jury would give me?

My hubby is starting to think the orchard is cursed  :-D and has limited me to 4 hives and now designated me orchard mower...

My queen was laying beautifully...

I think my photo is now at the entrance of the hive due to my aiding the invaders...

have just had a thought - what will become of the little swarm left on the apple tree?
No queen and no home? will they move on? are they doomed too albeit in a more drawn out fashion...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:01:37 am by Harpo »

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:44:44 am »
He he, Have You Seen This Woman? sort of thing. The interesting thing would be if the bee jury gives you life imprisonement, would that be your life or theirs?

Wish I had an orchard.[/envy]

If the queen was laying alright then there will be enough eggs and larvae to produce queen cells in neccesary.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:58 am »
For future reference if you ever do something that sets off a war like that, smoke them heavily and no one will be able to tell who is who and it will calm down.  Then keep an eye on them and if it starts up again, smoke them again.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:38:41 am »
For future reference if you ever do something that sets off a war like that, smoke them heavily and no one will be able to tell who is who and it will calm down.  Then keep an eye on them and if it starts up again, smoke them again.

That's good advice! I will try to remember that. Larry

anything