Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Locating Missing Hive(s)  (Read 3727 times)

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
Locating Missing Hive(s)
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:26:17 pm »
Saw ad on TV the other day what was essentially a lo-jack for ones pet; similar to the one that might be in ones vehicle; for $7.95mth. I would suggest placing one in a hive body; when the body is moved from a specified location one receives a text msg from the service provider that your hive is not at the specified location any longer and is now at location x. One now may execute a measured response aka 911 or whatever suits one's fancy. No use for a thief.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Locating Missing Hive(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:31:37 am »
That might work for beeks that have a theft problem, but my hives are right here at my house. Larry

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:34:04 am »
Another option is to use Dandant/Jumbo sized brood boxes that are physically too heavy for a human to pick up.  As for the supers, you could chain lock them down to the Dandant Brood box if you wanted.  $8 a month to track hives in my backyard is a little steep for me too.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:03 am »
Seems services and equipment is more and more designed for the consumer with fear as a base.

Years ago, getting a credit score was simple. Now the "credit" industry is a billion dollar industry, based on someone stealing your identity. And while the internet has changed the need, I often wonder how many problems are created by the industry itself so it can market "protection".

Now they have "reputation" protection by companies scanning websites alerting you if someone says anything bad about your business.

They have monthly fees for services if you car is stolen.

They have chips for your beehives.

They have systems for your house.

They have prepaid legal services, in case you need it.

They have "pervert" type watch programs to alert you on child predators.

And it goes on and on.

Tally it all up, and who has 200-400 dollars per month for all the protection that they say is needed.

So it goes.....make a problem, blow up minor situations, and market to consumers a bunch of things to "protect" them. I guess there is a cost of "peace of mind". But I think it just never stops.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:10 am »
Never let a crisis go to waste or waste the opportunity to create one.
 But if you have hives where theft could be a problem, they are probably going to take most of them. Could be a good investment in a "bait" hive so to speak.
A well placed game cam may offer the same opportunity.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:50 pm »
might be of some use for those who farm their bees out to parks, etc.  don't think i'd do it, but i am cheep.  :-)  i'd rather figure a way to hot wire mine!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »
There is a GPS system meant for bee hives (sorry, no link). It fits into a standard deep (If I recall) frame.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:44:39 am »
How about exploding ink?

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:33:03 am »
Then you wouldn't be able to find the Queen.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.