Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB must die!  (Read 2525 times)

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
SHB must die!
« on: June 03, 2008, 02:49:30 pm »
Well I had found an SHB in my last inspection over the weekend. My first sighting for my two new hives. I put in the white board for my screen bottom board as well, to check on mites.

Today I go to remove the boards and find SHB grubs on them on one of my hives, plus an adult SHB on the other hive which I didn't see any during the inspection. I have a some AJ Beetle Traps on their way right now, but wondering if this is going to be a problem for my new hives. Since I'm already seeing grubs.

Only good thing I can think of it my hive stands are sitting in oil cans to keep ants out, from what I read grubs need to get back to the ground. So hopefully I'm keeping that from happening to make a new generation of these buggers.

I'm just wondering what I can do to help my girls out more with dealing with these. Both hives are in their 5th week and on last inspection were doing great. I want to keep it that way  :-D

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: SHB must die!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:23 pm »
Grubs are a problem.  If you are seeing them then I'd be alarmed. 

Keep close eye on the inside combs that there aren't grubs in the comb, and watch for upset bees.  The grubs will just drop off the bottom board to the ground and pupate there, the oil cans don't do anything for them. 

The traps only trap the adults, the only way to get rid of larvae is strong hive and removing infected comb and only giving the bees enough room that they can vigorously defend.

Rick
Rick

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:24:11 pm »
Thanks, will keep a close eye on that comb. Luckily I have extra foundation that if it gets bad I can replace. I was just very surprised to be seeing larvae already when I only saw my first sign of beetles this weekend. Still hopeful I can nip it in the bud!

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »
Yeah, SHBs are a bugger to keep under control.
Currently using=
Sandwich Container Traps
AJ SHB Traps
West SHB Traps
DE and Foamboard
BlackFlag Roach Motels wrapped in #8 Hardware Cloth

And still seeing SHB at each inspection.  Thankfully 98% are dead or trapped.  So far have only found one Larva.
Fight! Fight! Fight! Then Fight some more!

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:02 am »
HAB,

Where do you put the roach motels?