Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Hot Wax dipping  (Read 15241 times)

Offline Hikerd

• New Bee
Hive Hot Wax dipping
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:59:42 pm »
While not the safest set up. We had fire extinguishers ready and plenty of open space.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:01:26 pm by Robo »

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Hive Hot Wax dipping
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:55 pm »
I have never done this, but would like to.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »
I'll be dipping (wax & gum rosin) either this week or next. It's a great way to treat woodenware!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:26 pm »
I'm sorry for this possibly stupid question, but is this wax dipping is in place of painting the boxes?
Shane

Offline Hikerd

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 02:40:33 am »
Yes. the hot wax dip is an alternative to painting but you can put a coat of paint on if you do it before the wood cools.

I used a 50/50 mix of microcrystalline and paraffin. I think if you Google "Hot Wax dipping  hives" + "pdf" use should get a link to the following report:
RIRDC Publication No 01/051
RIRDC Project No. DAV-167A.
ISBN  0 642 58273 4
ISSN  1440-684
I'd put the link up myself but I got to it via a US site that is a business. Regardless, the report is well documented as well as a nice "HOW TO" with all the precautions of using 180°F wax.

The hot wax also seems to be a great method of sterilizing a used hive of AFB. It's expensive at first and this is trail for me. If I can go 10 to 20 years without painting then it is worth it. I'm using about $100 worth of wax in the picture and a dangerously short container. We will be dipping at least 50 suppers in 2012 [20 last year]and I don't think we will put a dent in the quantity of wax left over.

best, H

Offline Hikerd

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:53:41 am »
We think it just looks nice. We thought about using was dye to color the hives but didn't because the dye we ordered wasn't food grade. Anyway here are a few more pictures of the art and a fresh hot wax dip.

Cheers,
H

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:39:11 am by buzzbee »

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:17:05 am »
Thanks mate. It is something I would like to try. I hate painting, so this might be the go.
Shane

Offline woodhinge

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:13 am »
If you don't mind, why do you HATE painting?

Offline Lburou

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »
...snip...The hot wax also seems to be a great method of sterilizing a used hive of AFB...snip...

Thanks for the picture!  Can you help me understand how this 180 degree process 'sterilizes' equipment infected with AFB?  Is that the Fahrenheit or Centigrade scale?   Most of those little buggers need boiling temperatures for minutes to surrender to the heat -I guess its another gap in my education  ;)    

To date, I have read of only one way to cure AFB and it was incineration, I'll see if I can read those reports you cited, thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:27:09 pm by Lburou »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:19:31 am »
Cool.  That should work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin