Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: racks stuck together  (Read 3673 times)

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
racks stuck together
« on: August 20, 2005, 08:39:55 pm »
Hi again,
 I just posted "I think my queen is dead"  Thanks for the input, but I couldn't get the racks out. I tried repeatedly,  man those things were just welded together.  I could see capped honey, but thats it. Don't know if my queen is alive or dead so should I just order one and install her just to be safe?  Or just leave them be and hope for the best?  By the way I cant find anywhere that sells queens and Bees could someone give me some addresses or phone numbers.  Thanks again guys.
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Offline jefftck

• New Bee
racks stuck together
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 10:08:37 pm »
Heres where I just ordered one from last week
http://www.kelleybees.com/
I paid $11.50 for the queen including shipping plus $2.00 insured, Totaling $13.50 You may want to get some expert advise before you spend your money and maybe get her killed if there is a queen in the hive

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
racks stuck together
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 01:59:51 am »
Depending what you have you could try Michael Bush with feral survivors you can try a PM and put Queen in the subject, or www.bushfarms.com , I believe,  or Jester Bee Co. who has russians, email at jesterbee@eritter.net or phone 870-531-2373.  You might get lucky.  I saw some other posts, just can't remember where about queens.  I think Sippee Bee was one (I'm not sure if this is right) and maybe Kona Queen in Hawaii at queenbee@aloha.net were two that were mentioned.  Good Luck!  David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
racks stuck together
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 10:39:57 am »
Sounds like you really need to get some frames out and see if you have a queen or not.  Start at one end and pry that frame over to the side.  Then the next and the next until you get to the far side.  Maybe even try to get some of the propolis off of the sides of the end bars as you go.  When you get to the far side you should have a frame you can get out.  Even if it's crowded, just go slowly and try not to roll the bees too much.  Set that one aside and you now have room to get frames out.  If you think they are burred down to the box below, then pry the box up first and then pry each frame over.

IF you don't find eggs or brood you still might have a virgin queen that isn't laying yet.  If you have some brood you can add you can elemenate this possibility by adding a frame of eggs and young brood and see if they start a queen cell.

To be more accurate here's what you may find:

1)  No eggs or open brood (and maybe no capped brood).  Possible causes:  They have raised a new queen who isn't laying yet;  They are queenless.

2)  Eggs with occasional doubles.  Possible causes:  They have raised a new queen who has just started to lay but hasn't got the hang of it;  They have laying workers.

3)  Lots of multiple eggs.  Possibly a lot of drone cap and open brood.  Cause:  Laying workers.

Of all of these possible states only one will accept a new queen.  The others are all a waste of a good queen.

If you decide you want a queen I have queens.  :)

www.bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
racks stuck together
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 05:49:05 pm »
As a new beekeeper I had a "worry" the other day. I thought a frame was "welded" to the frame below it by wax or something. I finally got a good grip on it and pulled gently upward. There was no burr comb on it at all. It was just full of capped honey. That sucker was heavy and sure felt stuck having only delt with empty frames to compare weight wise. If your frame pries away from the one next to it and you think it is stuck somewhere else, perhaps it's just full.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything