Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic faucets for honey buckets....  (Read 3553 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Plastic faucets for honey buckets....
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:45:41 am »
I have the 1 1\4" gates on most of the buckets that store honey in and\or bottle out of. 

I was wanting to try the plastic faucets ( they're called drum faucets ) on a few more to see if they work better while bottling.  I've called several places that sell them on the internet.  They say that you just drill a hole in the bucket for the 3\4" NPT threads on the faucet and screw them in.  The faucets have no rubber washer and\or nut on the inside of the bucket to tighten in down with - only a washer on the outside on the bucket.

I can't see how this method will not leak.  There's a certain amount of pressure exerted with 5 gals. on honey and without a washer or nut on the inside it's almost certain to leak or at the least be very susceptible to working loose.

If anyone has worked with these drum faucets and has some insight on their usefulness I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Plastic faucets for honey buckets....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:22 am »
I use them all the time in my water storage buckets and barrels. I just put  a little dab of silicone around the collar as I screw them in. No problems after that. I don't know about the increased pressure due to the difference in density, but I think that the honey would gum them up after a while.
Good luck
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:21 am »
Don't waste your time with the faucets for bottling honey, you will go crazy waiting for the last drip.   Stick with the gates.  Trust me ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Hill's Hivery

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:48:19 pm »
I picked up one of these at my local Rural King store.  To solve the interior nut problem I purchased a PVC cap and sliced off the end.  Viola custom made cap.  You do have to wait a little for the "last drip", but at a 1/3 of the price for a honey gate and no shipping, I can wait!  Plus I get 3 for the price of 1 honey gate.  Just make sure you don't drill the hole too big.  I did, now I have a good swarm catching bucket!  :(

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:18 pm »
Good idea on the cut off PVC cap..  I'll try that.

Did you just use washers on both sides of the bucket wall or did you use a little silicone to help with any leakage issue...?

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:26:05 pm »
npt threads are tapered.   if put in right they should not leak