Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first pic's of my hive  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
My first pic's of my hive
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:40:45 pm »
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: My first pic's of my hive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:43:02 pm »
Cool pics, thanks for sharing
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:54:31 pm »
Great pics Irwin!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline chad

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:50:50 pm »
shots look great!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »
Pretty cool.  Is that a regular amount of comb on top of the frames?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:13:43 am »
Pretty cool.  Is that a regular amount of comb on top of the frames?
Yes every time I look in on them it's there in the same spot. This time it had brood in it.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »
I think your pics are great.  I especially like the one that has the brood on it.    Is that the way the brood is supposed to look?

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:53:09 pm »
Hi Irwin:

I always like to give good feedback that helps and here goes:

Most of your pics are very clears and look great, I notice though that one of two things happen in a few CLOSER UP IMAGES and that is focus problems.

This is likely something you may have missed in the book for the camera - most digital cameras have a focus feature that take a little getting use to - that is, you need to push the PICTURE TAKING BUTTON part way down and this locks the focus on a particular area in the cameras view finder (sometimes faces, or you may be aiming toward an object further back and wanting your focus to be sharp toward IT and not toward something in the near-ground.

So as you shoot the picture, hold the button down half way for a second or so - you will see and maybe hear some adjusting happening and then push it all the way in to SNAP the picture. This is very common in most digital cameras today.

The other thing is if you are taking pictures of things fairly close up, make sure that you are NOT using the zoom feature at all, the combination will cause a blurry pic too. You can stand further back and use the zoom fine and it works great, or stand at the MINIMAL DISTANCE recommended toward an object BUT MAKE SURE that your zooming is not slid toward any magnification.

These two things (and also making sure that at the time you snap the picture you brace the camera firmly and don't move your hands any) will almost guarantee a very sharp closer image every time, especially in low light conditions when the time the lens is open is longer. In older film cameras, the magic speed for handheld shooting was 1/60th of a second: if you were to take a picture where the lens was open THAT LONG OR LONGER your own heartbeat would cause the photo to blurr. So bright pictures will always have a faster shutter speed and that reduces motion blurr, shady or dark conditions where the FLASH will have to go off (I usually turn the flash to manual ON if I'm taking a lot of near dark or indoor pics) that way, I won't miss pics that have poor light, but did have enough light to NOT set off the flash in auto mode.

The best way to take a pic is to brace the camera so that when you push the button half way down to focus, you can continue to push it without the camera hopping a little, you want to take a photo like you shoot a gun, a smooth motion which you follow through with .

Take a look at your photos in the slideshow mode, set the speed about 1 second apart and you will easily see the similarities in the slightly out of focus pics. The above suggestions come from using many cameras and lots of practice - but honestly I think you are doing a great job and you only get better from here :)

Hope I helped some,

John
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:03:58 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:35:19 pm »
Looks good Irwin!!
But.....Are those midget beer cans? :)

your friend,
john

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:54:27 am »
I think your pics are great.  I especially like the one that has the brood on it.    Is that the way the brood is supposed to look?
I don't know but mine dose.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:35 am »
Hi Irwin:

I always like to give good feedback that helps and here goes:

Most of your pics are very clears and look great, I notice though that one of two things happen in a few CLOSER UP IMAGES and that is focus problems.

This is likely something you may have missed in the book for the camera - most digital cameras have a focus feature that take a little getting use to - that is, you need to push the PICTURE TAKING BUTTON part way down and this locks the focus on a particular area in the cameras view finder (sometimes faces, or you may be aiming toward an object further back and wanting your focus to be sharp toward IT and not toward something in the near-ground.

So as you shoot the picture, hold the button down half way for a second or so - you will see and maybe hear some adjusting happening and then push it all the way in to SNAP the picture. This is very common in most digital cameras today.

The other thing is if you are taking pictures of things fairly close up, make sure that you are NOT using the zoom feature at all, the combination will cause a blurry pic too. You can stand further back and use the zoom fine and it works great, or stand at the MINIMAL DISTANCE recommended toward an object BUT MAKE SURE that your zooming is not slid toward any magnification.

These two things (and also making sure that at the time you snap the picture you brace the camera firmly and don't move your hands any) will almost guarantee a very sharp closer image every time, especially in low light conditions when the time the lens is open is longer. In older film cameras, the magic speed for handheld shooting was 1/60th of a second: if you were to take a picture where the lens was open THAT LONG OR LONGER your own heartbeat would cause the photo to blurr. So bright pictures will always have a faster shutter speed and that reduces motion blurr, shady or dark conditions where the FLASH will have to go off (I usually turn the flash to manual ON if I'm taking a lot of near dark or indoor pics) that way, I won't miss pics that have poor light, but did have enough light to NOT set off the flash in auto mode.

The best way to take a pic is to brace the camera so that when you push the button half way down to focus, you can continue to push it without the camera hopping a little, you want to take a photo like you shoot a gun, a smooth motion which you follow through with .

Take a look at your photos in the slideshow mode, set the speed about 1 second apart and you will easily see the similarities in the slightly out of focus pics. The above suggestions come from using many cameras and lots of practice - but honestly I think you are doing a great job and you only get better from here :)

Hope I helped some,

John
Thank's John I need all the help I can get :) If all else fails I guess I'll read the book :-D

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 09:03:45 am »
Looks good Irwin!!
But.....Are those midget beer cans? :)

your friend,
john
Sent my daughter to the store to get a 18 pack of 16 ounce can's and she came back with a 12 pack of twelve ounce can's and spent the change. Dangit any way's :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:50 pm »
You are like me Irwin. I still have not read the book that came with the camera, which I really should

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 07:30:40 pm »
Looks good Irwin. I like the picture of the foundationless.

anything