Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New foundations for package bees ?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline limyw

• House Bee
New foundations for package bees ?
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:03 am »
I am planning to get package bee to enlarge my farm scale but not sure if I only insert new foundations for them are they able to sustain? Of course drawn combs are better I knew but I dont have so much to use.
lyw

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: New foundations for package bees ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:02:12 am »
If you have already drawn comb, by all means, use that.  The nest size will grow pretty quick that way.  If you only have foundation, that's fine too.  They'll build up their nest in due time if there is a flow going on.  If no flow, give syrup until there is one.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:17:10 am »
Is pollen patty needed since they need to start feeding larva in few days time? I just worry insufficient pollen may cause weak nurse bee or even death pupae.
lyw

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:32:13 pm »
You can.  I put one in each hive when the first inspections happen in the spring and then once my supers are removed in the fall.  They bring in a lot of natural pollen too so I suppose that is a matter of preference.  Bees have survived without humans giving them pollen.  I can't really see it being a waste though.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:59:46 am »
One of the reasons you need to feed a package is that they have no stores and a rainy spell can leave them starving.  They can survive fine on bare foundation if they have food.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 10:16:37 pm »
They can also survive without foundation as long as they have a food sourse.  One of the things I dislike about foundation is, besides creating partions within the hive and obstructing communications, the bees have to correct the hexagonal imprint people manufactured on the wax sheet before they can build real comb.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:59:12 pm »
Keep in mind that a package is just an artificial swarm.  They have the same resources a swarm has.  Mostly young bees, mixed with a few old bees, a queen and a stomach full of food.

Feeding is just good insurance in case they get bad weather for a week or so and so they can get some combs and stores going more quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:02:27 am »
               I bought a few 3 lbs pkgs last year I put 1 drawn frame in the middle and an inside feeder on one side and the rest of the frames were foundation there was a small flow but not much so I fed a thin sugar syrup every week for about 5 weeks then I found a good place with some yellow star thistle and they did good if  I would have had more drawn foundation I would have used more. Sugar gets expensive and those poor girls were trying to make wax and eat instead of just trying to eat.                          metzelplex