Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying unassembled hives?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline chetwynd

• New Bee
Buying unassembled hives?
« on: March 25, 2006, 10:55:08 pm »
Hi I'm looking to get back into the beekeeping hobby and am wondering if anyone/everyone finds it least expensive to buy unassembled hives and them put them together. I have air nailers and a shop full of tools, so I'm wondering if I'm really better off buying unassembed ones. Thoughts?

Offline don and emmy

• New Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:18:54 am »
It's a piece of cake.  All you really need is a hammer, some outdoor rated paint (I buy the rejects for a dollar a quart at home depot) and a paint brush. It is actually quite relaxing.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:05:12 am »
I buy mine in parts and assemble them myself and am a new beekeeper.

Although my wood is supposed to be kiln dried it always pays to let it season for a few weeks in the sun if you can.

I paint mine with whatever white paint I have, then coat the whole thing in a few layers of that white PVC glue that dries clear. (uv stabilised of course) coz I got buckets of the stuff.

For me glueing then nailing the joints works well.

If you have half a clue and the energy, just make templates from the first hive parts you buy then cut your own. If you already have the gear, id say you will save 90% in $$

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
TOO SIMPLE
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 08:47:33 am »
to make to buy.

If you are as equipped with all the tools, as you say :!:  That's what tool are for or am I missing something. While you're at it build youself a house, it's  the same, only larger :idea:  :P

Actually all the hive parts can be home made very easily including frames.

However frames are fairly cheap and uiform if you like wood. Personally I have made some frames but I prefer the all plastic Pierco. Life does not have to be complicated. including fooling around with bees.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:11:27 am »
All the "assembled" ones I know of come with plastic 5.4mm foundation.  Since I wouldn't use that, it's a waste, for me.  I buy unassmebled and either use small cell foundation or I buy frames with no grooves in the top and bottom bar and cut the top bar for foundationless frames.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

It's not hard to make the boxes.  The frames are handier with a frame nailing jig.

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=160
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/products.asp?pcode=911
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GeeBeeNC

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:26:51 pm »
The savings in shipping cost alone is significant.  Assembled boxes are so light weight compared to size that they demand a sircharge from the shipper.
GeeB

If the world were merely seductive,
That would be easy.

If it were merely challenging,
That would be no problem.

But I arise in the morning torn
Between a desire to improve the world
And a desire to enjoy the world.

That makes it hard to plan the day.
                                 E.B. White

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:29:44 am »
The number of hives you are building can be a factor too! I just built my first 3 colonies. I got the hives unassembled, but I bought all of the frames assembled. Worked out great! I got to have some fun working with them, but not too much work.
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!