Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Releasing my Queen  (Read 5188 times)

Offline chilibee

• New Bee
Releasing my Queen
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:55:48 pm »
I have added a new package 3 days ago and the hive appears to be happy. They are eating sugar syrup like crazy. I lifted off the inner cover and they started drawing out comb on the bottom of the cover. I assume this is because I left a space between the queen box and the middle foundation. My question is that after three days the queen is still in the box with only a small hole chewed through the candy. Will the bees continue to chew through to release her or should I assist the process along?
Thanks,
Scott

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Releasing my Queen
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:11:17 pm »
If there are bees clustering around and attending to her, it'll be safe to release her. When you do, take care to get her into the hive and not let her just take off on you.
 Good luck

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:13:49 pm »
I have had them fly away and to never return. Take a nail or something and poke a hole through the candy. They will make the hole bigger and release her in no time.

Speaking from experience,

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline chilibee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:55:24 pm »
Thanks for the advice, There is already a small hole already chewed through but not big enough yet for her to crawl through. It has been cold so I will give it another day to see if they finish what they started. Patience is going to be tough in this new endeavor of mine. The good news is my second hive has been doing great. Queen released and comb being built. Look for eggs later this week.

Offline chilibee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »
I checked on her yesterday and the Queen box was empty!!! How long should I wait to try and find her on the foundations?

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 12:44:03 am »
give them a week or so then check for eggs and larva . You don't have to spend tons of time looking for the queen, just signs that she's there.

Offline o.molchanov

• New Bee
    • Apiary Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:19:42 am »
Have you checked the behavior of retinue? Is it aggressive to the new queen?

BTW, did you use special feeders for your syrup?