Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to handle pesticide spray near hives?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
How to handle pesticide spray near hives?
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »
This year, some friends of mine agreed to keep two of my hives in their yard, but NOW I learn that they have a service that sprays for bugs around the base of their house every few months. They expect the spraying to occur in the next few days. Shall I cover the hives? Move them away completely? (And, yes, I've learned now to ask this question before placing hives.)

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: How to handle pesticide spray near hives?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:50 pm »
Is it the ground the service will be spraying and just around the base of the house?  If so and there is no forage there that the bees are utilizing, you will probably be okay.  It's when the bees are consuming nectar or pollen from sprayed sources that you have trouble.

Are your hives downwind of the spraying?  I'm not sure what you could do to keep them safe in that instance.  Maybe try to block the side of the hive with the greatest exposure?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »
our neighbors have a service that sprays the base of the house.  there is no forage there and the service sprays very close to the ground so there is very little drift.  maybe one of the pest guys on here can give you a better answer, but i would not be concerned if the bees are not close to the house and there is nothing there that the bees would be interested in.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:42:14 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it too much Linda, it sounds as if it's a ground treatment and shouldn't hurt your bees.

Kathy...which guys on here are you calling a pest? (one of the pest guys) :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:09:29 am »
Thanks for the relief, all. Now I won't worry about it.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:13:15 am »
(sorry)...I meant Liz :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:44:38 am »
Thanks for the relief, all. Now I won't worry about it.

-Liz

:roll: :idunno:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:00:56 am by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:58 am »
Kathy...which guys on here are you calling a pest? (one of the pest guys)

might apply to a bunch of them, but only a couple that i know of are professionals!   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything