Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: image test swarm trap  (Read 5248 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
image test swarm trap
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:36:32 pm »

Hope ya'll enjoy these pics, I was playing around resizing some pics with paint.net, and so there you have it.

....JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: image test swarm trap
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:42:46 pm »
Wow JP, I take a few of those please. :-D

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:35:41 am »
pdmattox,

You can't have any remember they are all AHB here. We have to destroy them.  :roll:

Not that I would ever use swarm traps and lemongrass oil. (sarcasm)

I think that first swarm trap had been out there a little long it looks like comb was out the bottom.

It's funny I mount all mine sideways. Not that I would ever mount any.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:39:31 am »
JP  Awesome pictures..... thanks for sharing
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:12:33 am »
JP, holy smoking smokers!!!!  That is some cool pictures you got goin' on there!!!!  Tell about that swarm trap, I was entralled to look at this and you MUST describe what is going on and how it is used.  I am sure it is a no brainer, but I don't get things very well sometimes.  So, I would love for you to describe the apparatus and how you use it, sounds like Brendhan uses something similar too, but puts his sideways.  Come on.....don't keep this secret, I am sure I am not the only one that would love to hear this story.  Hee, hee.  Have the most wonderful and beautiful day, love our earth.  Cindi

I love it, these pictures that I see our forum friends bring here take me to the beautiful dog days of summer, and it such a warm, cozy and fuzzy feeling!!!  Gotta love the beautiful days of summer that are coming, no stopping them now.....
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:41:22 am »
Here's the story of that trap. There's a fellow in slidell, Louisiana, that called me out last season to remove three hives at his house, and he's had bees before last season in the same general areas. I mentioned that we should hang at least one swarm trap out, but he wasn't interested at first. He called me on a Sunday, about 3 weeks after the removals about a swarm that had landed on one of the dormer windows, 25' up. I told him I'd be over the next morning.

The next morning I pulled up, got outta my truck, went over and looked up at the dormer and just at that very moment, the bunch of bees that had been clustered on the dormer decided to go airborne, way up in fact. Shortly after that I could hear this constant buzzing that I believed was coming from a hive that I had on my trailer, but it wasn't! Where was the buzzing bees I was hearing, it just had to be from that swarm off the dormer I concluded. I kept looking around and up, and finally, out of the sky, I could see the swarm circling, now things were getting really interesting and boy, was I excited. The swarm came down slowly, circling, and I could see that they were slowly but surely zeroing in on this one small oak tree. Well, they landed on the tree, in a rather large cluster, but didn't stay long enough for me to catch them, they left again. I was disappointed, but proceded to place the swarm trap in the tree about 16' up.

A few days later the guy called me and said a large swarm had settled into the trap, but that his wish was to house the hive and keep them on his property. As luck would have it I just couldn't get out to do the transfer right away, so I went back about a week later. The trap already weighed about 20lbs or so, with large numbers of bees, working hard.

The guy changed his mind when I explained to him that he would have to buy some protection and work the bees now and again, etc... He didn't realize the undertaking. For some reason I wound up leaving the trap there for a few more days or so. When I went back to retrieve it, it weighed a ton, like 45lbs. What you see is that trap after I had cut into it at the beeyard to perform the transfer.

What was interesting was that I caught the queen and placed her in the hive box you see twice. She would fly off, then come back. The second time she flew off I knew she wouldn't go far so I just proceded with the transfer. When I was done, I noticed a swarm cluster (that I have pictured) and figured she had landed 10' behind the hive box in that tree. Well, just as I was about to cut the branch and shake the bees, I noticed a little comb on the branch and realized that this swarm had no connection to the queen I was now looking for.

Long story short, I did a combine of that swarm and a queeless hive, and that queen must have found her hive again, because she was in there laying when I checked on them a little while later.

The deer is from our property in Ms.

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:40:59 pm »
JP, wow, that was a cool story and thankyou for taking the time to recount it, in such depth.  It must be very fascinating to go out on the swarm calls and cut outs that you do, every time a different and I would expect, a totally different aspect to the work.  Interesting, loved to hear the account.  The deer on your property are beautiful, they have such a majestic appearance, nice.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, love this life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:28 am »
Thanks Cindy, have a great day.

....JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 12:07:41 am »
JP, shame on you!!!  It is Cindi (with an "i"), I am totally anal retentive about the spelling of my name, hee, hee,  :-P :) :)  Have an incredibly wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 01:37:42 am »
JP, shame on you!!!  It is Cindi (with an "i"), I am totally anal retentive about the spelling of my name, hee, hee,  :-P :) :)  Have an incredibly wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

oops, so sorry. My sister n law's name is Cindy and she works for me, I see her 5 days a week. Her name is spelled Cindy.

....JP

anything