Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need bee advice  (Read 1869 times)

Offline robst

• New Bee
Need bee advice
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:59:51 am »
Hi

Not sure if this is the place to put this post, but im after some advice. While clearing a wood pile I noticed some bees moving around some eggs.

I would like like to get rid of the pile but don't wantvto harm the bees. Any help oradvice would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:29:50 am by Robo »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Need bee advice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:32:27 am »
You located a bumblebee nest.  The bumble bees are struggling to survive just as the honeybee.  Bumblebees are native pollinators, whereas honeybees are not.   It you can leave them alone until Fall that would be the best option (they only us the nest for one season).  If they can't stay where they are, you could attempt to move the nest.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:59 am »
Cool pics of bumble bees.   

Offline robst

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:35 am »
You located a bumblebee nest.  The bumble bees are struggling to survive just as the honeybee.  Bumblebees are native pollinators, whereas honeybees are not.   It you can leave them alone until Fall that would be the best option (they only us the nest for one season).  If they can't stay where they are, you could attempt to move the nest.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a beekeeper but would like to help these bees to survive. If I was to move them how would be the best way to go about it?

Offline robst

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:35:46 am »
Cool pics of bumble bees.   

Thanks. My parter was the photograper :) She does take good pics.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:18 am »
As robo says, you’ve found a bumble bee colony.  I moved one last year and raised them in a little box.  I used a box that was about 6” x 6” x 4” tall, but you probably don’t really need to put them in a box if your goal is to simply save the bees.  My goal was to watch and observe them so I went the box route with a plexiglass top. 

I picked up my colony with the shovel and put them into my box.  Assuming you don’t plan to watch them, maybe you can just use a shovel and gently move the nest to a new location with some protection from the elements (rain).  Bumble bees usually live on of near the ground, often in mouse nests or rubble. 

I’ve never been stung by a bumble bee, but some folks on here claimed their sting was 10x worst than a honey bee.  I don’t know, but I figured I would wear my bee suit just in case.  Surprisingly the bumbles really didn’t come after me.  They made a LOT of buzzing though. :-D  If I was going to do it again and didn’t own a bee suit, I would be comfortable doing it wearing thick sweats, a sweater, and a head net.  The thick material of the sweats/sweater is thicker than their stingers so that can’t get you.  Rubber dishwashing gloves work well for hand protection.  Just don’t panic and gently work the nest free and move to a new location.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:04 am »
we were cleaning up some junk and found a nest under some roofing metal.  the nests are usually not to big so if you can slip a flat shovel under the whole thing and move it to a new and sheltered place...you might try digging them a new space and setting the entire nest in there. 

all that i have found at my place were under things.  tarps, roofing, hay....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything