Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who has best wood frames?  (Read 9346 times)

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
Who has best wood frames?
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:55:58 am »
I bought 100 deep frames Miller bee supply and they were not consistent.  When fitting the side bars to the top bars most had a crack left on the inside of the side bar.

I bought another 100 from Kelly but haven't put them together yet.

Who do Y'all think has the best frames?

What about the #2 frames that some companies sell?  Are the useable?

Thanks, Johnny

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: Who has best wood frames?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:06:08 am »
I use only commercial grade from Dadant.  They seem to work fine, as do many others.  Dadant is close to me so I save shipping.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline BearCreekBees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:27:23 am »
The best frames I have used were from Kelley. Next best from Dadant- their's are the ones I use most often because I can pick up.
I can also pick up from Mann Lake but have a lot of problems with their frames so I won't buy them anymore.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:32 am »
I normally buy from Mannlake.  Typically they are good but they recently retooled and the last batch I got were not the greatest.  I'm not sure if I will give them another go at it or not.  The defects didn't affect the end product at all.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:56 am »
I normally buy from Mannlake.  Typically they are good but they recently retooled and the last batch I got were not the greatest.  I'm not sure if I will give them another go at it or not.  The defects didn't affect the end product at all.

I don't care too much for the economy woodenware from Manlake, its trash, the economy from Dadant is much better, I use the Paris, Texas location, ask for Terri.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:50:01 am »
I buy all my Frames from Betterbee in NY, quite happy with the millwork.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:17:23 pm »
BetterBee here too.  Can't remember the last time I had a frame split during assembly.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:22:49 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37:27 pm »
Kelley, Lapp's and Betterbee.  No problems at all.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 03:33:14 pm »
Dadant, also close enough to drive, no shipping. I have used both economy and the commercial. Don't see much of a difference between them. Both are adequate. :-D
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:29:52 am »
I can't say I was terribly unhappy with any of my frames from a large number of suppliers, but Walter T. Kelley has very nice frames.  My favorite are foundationless frames on 1 1/4" centers from Dave W. on Beesource. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:34:28 pm »
 I use Dadants.....Commercial,..Never had a bad one yet!
 I put about 20 together yesterday...I split the first one....Then I said,"Screw it..Im not gonna use nails this time. I'll just use glue and see what happens!".
Whattaya think?..Think they'll hold up?
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:46:54 pm »
 I put about 20 together yesterday...I split the first one....Then I said,"Screw it..Im not gonna use nails this time. I'll just use glue and see what happens!".
your friend,
john

I think a good strong glue wood hold up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 01:14:45 pm »
heh heh...I hope so JP.....I had to use them this morning!. I went out there really early to split a hive and that went well,.....Then, I heard a buzzing! Yep!!..A swarm landing in a tree right near my apiary!
I sawed the limb down and when it fell the bees relocated to another easier to get to limb!..I caught them, boxed them, and walked away, patting myself on the back..Oh yeh,..Paul was with me. Then Paul says, "LooK!..Another swarm!"..I thought he was blowing smoke as he THINKS he's a comedian..I almost walked right into it as this swarm was on one of my favorite limbs to scrape my head on!..So, we caught it, and boxed it!
Sure was lucky that I had built those frames yesterday! I had also just finished putting the little metal strips in 10 hive boxes too.
Oh,...The first swarm still had bees pouring into it 45 minutes ago..I must have caught them before they were finished grouping.

What a GREAT Morning!!.....(I hope they stay!) :)

your friend,
john

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 07:31:48 pm »
your friend,
john
     you need the nails -they will not stay together without nails -did you get your cap :lol: RDY-B  8-)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:38 pm »
I would not fail to use nails nor fail to use glue...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 10:35:52 pm »
Harghhhh!!!
No Nails...Oh boy,......If they hold together, I'll tell you what glue i used! :)
heh, heh,....No cap either :-x (Thats funny, Rdy-b :-D)
They didnt even reply to my "Nasty-Gram"!
I kinda thought I'd be seeing a cap in the mail though! :)

your friend,
john

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 01:05:51 am »
   Had a frame that was nailed only come apart and one that was only glued with outdoors glue that came apart.  Now gorilla glue and well aimed nails.  Now if I can just stop hitting my thumb. :oops:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »
Yeah, qa!!!
My thumb has a black spot from mashing it against the hammer :-D..With my lousy eyes and lousy aim i sometimes get more than the nail!..THATS when i decided to just use glue, not just because i split the frame!...I just bought nails a couple hours ago.
 I've used gorilla glue before but I also still have remnants of it all over the place!! :)
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 06:27:01 pm »
Yeah, qa!!!
My thumb has a black spot from mashing it against the hammer :-D..With my lousy eyes and lousy aim i sometimes get more than the nail!..THATS when i decided to just use glue, not just because i split the frame!...I just bought nails a couple hours ago.
 I've used gorilla glue before but I also still have remnants of it all over the place!! :)
your friend,
john

I use exterior waterproof wood glue and my brad gun.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »
old stuff gets fixed with gorilla glue.   new stuff gets nailed with pneumatic nailer/stapler.  have yet to split a frame!  i love both the nailer and the glue.  they are fun :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything