Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drought and nectar flow  (Read 5201 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Drought and nectar flow
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:46:25 pm »
Man is it dry here in central Georgia! As I ride around (when I can afford the fuel) I see very little for bees to eat. It is so dry that the weeds are not blooming. The Magnolias are blooming heavy. The Crape Myrtles will be blooming soon. They tolerate drought pretty well. Other than that, I don't see much else unless we get some rain soon. Please pray for rain!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Drought and nectar flow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:02:20 pm »
Ahh the picture you painted for your loctation looks the same here.  Not much gallberry or palm coming in yet either.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:22:42 pm »
I'm right here with you two. Just up the road from Macon.
My bees are doing somethig, the priv hedges don't look they are blooming as much as they did last year. Starting to look at some honey I had planned to harvest, may be leaving some of it on.
Quiet awhile before the Kudzu blooms. Hoping for some tomorrow.
doak

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:08:27 am »
It is drier than dry in Atlanta.  And today the whole town was filled with thick smoke from the fires in south Georgia and Florida - I was amazed to smell and see the air when we are miles and miles from the fires.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:48:52 am »
Let's see I spend my mornings driving in Atlanta's version of smog. I go home to Florida's version of crunchy grass.

I go to Myrtle Beach on Thursday. I wonder what that will be like.

And yes I am under strict water use guidelines in Florida. 1 day a week for outside watering and yesterday was the start of the "rainy season."

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 07:00:57 am »
Never thought I would say this but...............we need a good HURRICANE!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:25:24 am »
We had that dry stuff last year. Even the weeds were wilting. Now so far this year we are 8+ inches over our average rain fall.

Just make sure your bees don't starve.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:42:47 pm »
We are dry here in Arkansas also, my garden is like baby bowder.  However you guys in the south east really are having a bad time, I hope you get the needed moisture soon, I also hope we do to or we will be in the same boat you are in.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 01:43:22 pm »
very dry here too....but I'm irrigating today so it will probably rain.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 01:48:06 pm »
not much better on the other side of the pond. dry autumn, DRY winter, dry spring, dry summer...like someone said, even the weeds aren't growing!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 05:50:34 pm »
The LORD has blessed us with some rain! It's not raining hard, but steady all day. I appreciate every drop that has fallen. I can already see the trees, grass and weeds perking up. We may have a nector flow after all.

I hope it is raining as well in south Georgia and north Florida. I am a couple hundred miles away from the wildfires and the smoke is awfull at times.

Steve

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 06:21:37 pm »
So far this summer appears to match the "normal" pattern much more than last summer did.  Last year we went 3 months without a drop of rain, and as anyone from the PNW can tell you--that's a long time for around here.  Suppose to get a couple days of rain first part of the week.  Bees are building up, have to super them tomorrow (2nd brood box).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 09:10:19 pm »
Hope you enjoyed the heatwave up there Brian. (we've had an easterly flow with high pressure lately in the PNW.  Pushing warm (as much as 80+F) dry (20%RH) air right out over the coast.)  Plenty of sun, warm, enough rain (no sprinklers required yet), it has been a spectacular spring thus far here and the blackberries are just ready to POP.

Heart, thoughts and prayers out to all of you in drought suffering regions.

Here's a (hopefully) useful related site linky ~> U.S. Drought Monitor

Cheers,
Dane

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 10:01:04 pm »
a little over 4" of rain today. :-D :-D :-D

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 10:06:04 pm »
Man it's still raining! I am so excited. I may yet have to see if my lawn mower will start this year. The grass is gone but this rain will bring up the weeds.

Happy in Georgia, Steve

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 07:40:20 am »
We had some good rain a couple of days last week and a little about a few weeks before that, but basically we have been in a drought. I am very thankful for the rain we had last week. The chinese tallow trees are blooming now, they make a fantastic honey.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 07:40:53 am »
Great to see you guys get some rain and wash the smoke from the air.Maybe some plants that lie in dormancy from lack of moisture will flourish now! Bring on the nectar!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 07:48:25 am »
Yeah, bring on the nectar! We have harvested 8 gallons of honey so far but am hoping for another 25-35 gallons or more.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything