Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's some good reading to learn more about Organic and natural beekeeping?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
Hey all,

It hit me that the books I have been going by, are not the means that I've been wanting to go about beekeeping. Especially since my wife and I are trying to turn our farm organic.

I've been reading through bushfarms.com and Ross Conrad's "Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture" was suggested to me here as well. I was wondering if there was anything else I could look at in order to figure out how to turn around the train of thought I've been reading.

I'm wishing I found this forum sooner now as I'm really liking the idea of natural comb. My bees actually made a huge section when I first installed them in one of my hives. I made a space just a little to big between the frames that I slide my queen box down between and gosh was it awesome, I hated having to remove it as it was attached on either side of the queen box. Now it's a center piece on our dining room table. But I've been taking in a lot from this forum and liking other ideas as well. But now have a thirst for more knowledge lol.

Thanks!

Joel

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
The Ross Conrad book is pretty good. He gets a little "new agey" about some things (not killing queens, letting the bees do as the will or die out), but his advice is generally good.

Also read Mel Disselkoen's article, here: http://www.mdasplitter.com/article.htm. It has some great advice about keeping ahead of the mites.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything