Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Southern NJ!  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Terri Stanley

• New Bee
Hello from Southern NJ!
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:10 am »
Hello, I'm a newbie down here in S. NJ. Just outside of Ocean City.
I've just ordered my hive and a lot of other great items from Dadant.
I would love to meet up with bee keepers here in South Jersey!
I'll post some images as soon as I receive my hive.
I am having some difficulty finding a package of bees, but I think I found one seller that still has some packages available.
Looking forward to exploring this site and learning from you all!  :)
Terri
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hello from Southern NJ!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:52 am »
Welcome!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »
Welcome to the site! Larry

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »

Welcome to the forum Terri.  The people here will try to help with any question, just ask.  You may want to see if there is a local bee club near you.  Good luck with your new hive and bees.

Joe

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »
TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/JerseyCapeBeekeepersAssociation

Offline Atri

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »
Welcome!

I've just got my package from Milford (Alexandria twp.)lots of bees were dead.they doing good now since Monday .Hope the weather will work for them...good luck with Yours.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Terri Stanley

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 07:15:34 am »
Welcome!

I've just got my package from Milford (Alexandria twp.)lots of bees were dead.they doing good now since Monday .Hope the weather will work for them...good luck with Yours.
Would you share your supplier? In case mine doesn't come through. I found a guy in CA, prob not a good idea ordering from so far away, right?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 08:34:04 am »
Welcome!

It is not unusual to have some dead bees at the bottom of the package. Packages are shaken from colonies that have bees of all ages.Some may be on their final days when shook. Others may have been injured by the shaking process itself.It just depends on how many bees were dead.
If it was a very large number,the packages may have been over exposed to the elements.
 Look over your package hen you pick it up.
If you keep the feed on they should be fine,I've installed in much worse weather and temps onto bare foundation.
 But remember one thing,your bee numbers will bee declining until the queen gets laying and the emerging bees outnumber the foragers meeting the end of their lifespan.