Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar to Water ratio spreadsheet/pdf  (Read 4745 times)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
Sugar to Water ratio spreadsheet/pdf
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:52:53 am »
(I posted this over at Beesource and will do so here as well)

I woke up early left the wife in bed and pounded out an Excel spreadsheet for sugar to water conversions.

I know there are probably dozens in existence, but I figure it was good practice for me.

So, I was wondering if someone would check my math and make sure everything works before I make it available for download for free on my website.

Here are the direct download links:

Excel (interactive)
Excel

PDF (not interactive)
PDF

Or the FTP to select it yourself:
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/FileSharing46.html

For those of you that are very math intense and do not avoid the weights and volumes rounded to the nearest hundredth, you can change that easily enough in Excel.

My area of specialty is NOT math and this is why I created this spread sheet.  If there is something that is wrong I apologize.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.  Feel free to use it assuming I have done all my math correctly.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
Re: Sugar to Water ratio spreadsheet/pdf
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:36:12 am »
Sent PM re the spredsheet

Thanks for a great program

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:41:38 am »
Thanks Jack.  I corrected the typos you mentioned.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 04:41:11 pm »
Nice, Thank you.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:40:43 am »
As per Jack's request (and time he spent playing around with it :) )

New updated sheets with an additional section for Imperial Units.

Excel:

Version 2

PDF:
Version 2 (non-interactive)

The link to the actual website is no different.  THese links are direct to download links and will begin downloading the moment you click on them.

Cheers!

Also:

I am also currently working on an excel spreadsheet for bee yard monitoring sort of like "mybeehive.com" but it will allow the user to enter data without the need to log onto a website.  You could, in theory, then use any portable device capable of viewing and interacting with a .xls file in the field, like a laptop (not too sure if there are any PDAs out there that run Excel or not since I do not own one). 

If there is anything someone is specifically looking for in a program like that, please, by all means, drop me an email.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:14:58 am »
Richard

I often pondered whether it would be worth while putting together an Access database to be able to manage your yards utilizing a PDA.  To answer your question, yes PDAs can run excel, and access.  MS Word, email the whole gammet.  Just dont expect to play an online game on them.

I dont believe it would be useful to use a PDA in the bee yard.  They are heat sensative and could you imagine getting propolis and wax build up on your touch screen.  I would fear you would ruin the screen trying to pry off the sticky stuff.

Thanks for the excel spreadsheet though.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:29:28 am »
PDA? Would that be Public Display of Affection? Personal Diametric Armpit? Panamanian Diabetes Association?.......
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:45:20 am »
PDA? Would that be Public Display of Affection? Personal Diametric Armpit? Panamanian Diabetes Association?.......

Personal Digital Assistant

ie.  Palm Pilot
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:11:23 am »
Palm Pilot was the original widely accepted PDA. 

However depending on what type of Public Display of Attention you are giving your better half may also be a little sensative. :-D
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:13:17 am »
 :)
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline mat

• House Bee
mat

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06:13 am »
Palm pilots , spreadsheets  and access programs?
You guys are getting way to technical for this plow boy :-D

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 01:14:21 pm »
OK, here is the working version of the spread sheet Colony Tracker....

Might be data over load.  Maybe not.

Hey Brian, I wasn't thinking about so much as a PDA or laptop at the hive site but off ot the side.  SOme folks are pretty detail oriented some are not.  Heck, with some of the PDAs today you could also set GPS grid coordinates for each Yard or Colony.

All that said, we all pick and choose what we want. :)

I took your suggestions and made the edit and posted it.  It was minor enough to not have to worry about a version change.

Thanks!

OK, this is the first step in the Bee Yard, Colony, Queen tracker data workbook (for Excel).  You can use the direct link to the website listed above OR simply click this link to download directly:
ColonyTracker (Excel)

While I think there is a lot of data entry to do, what I never really see when looking at other folks' websites is any REAL data.  There are lots of observations, but nothing all that scientific.  You COULD, in theory at least, use this for simple data collection.  As the number of hives grows or event he number of hives that come into and pass out of the bee yard ebbs and flows you'll have raw data to use.

I am sure there are more types of data we can enter.

Well, like I said, this is the REALLY rough first step.  This current version has the "sort and filter" function on, which I find handy for this much data.

Cheers!
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:27:41 pm »
OK, here is the working version of the spread sheet Colony Tracker....

Might be data over load.  Maybe not.

Hey Brian, I wasn't thinking about so much as a PDA or laptop at the hive site but off ot the side.  SOme folks are pretty detail oriented some are not.  Heck, with some of the PDAs today you could also set GPS grid coordinates for each Yard or Colony.
I use a Garmin iQue 3600, which is a GPS enabled Palm unit.  I've built my own database using HanDBase, it has a desktop component.  Here is a screenshot of my database on the desktop:

OK, this is the first step in the Bee Yard, Colony, Queen tracker data workbook (for Excel).  You can use the direct link to the website listed above OR simply click this link to download directly:
ColonyTracker (Excel)

While I think there is a lot of data entry to do, what I never really see when looking at other folks' websites is any REAL data.  There are lots of observations, but nothing all that scientific.  You COULD, in theory at least, use this for simple data collection.  As the number of hives grows or event he number of hives that come into and pass out of the bee yard ebbs and flows you'll have raw data to use.

I am sure there are more types of data we can enter.

Well, like I said, this is the REALLY rough first step.  This current version has the "sort and filter" function on, which I find handy for this much data.

Cheers!
That's greatI  I'm going to go over your data and see what I can incorporate into my database.  Mine is a work in progress also.