Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NUCS last through the winter?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
NUCS last through the winter?
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:18:03 am »
I am thinking about splitting a couple of my strong hives off now into 4 frame nucs for the primary purpose of increasing my colonies next year.  I am afraid they wont' make it through the winter.  any suggestions?

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:56:58 am »
I don't know about your bees, but my hives would grow WAY beyond 'nuc' size by winter if I split them now anyway.  

I could see a concern if you waited until Sept. or Oct. to split them, but it's only the beginning of July.  I would think they'll fill 2 deeps by fall again anyway.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 02:08:56 am »
Are the nectar flows over in your area?  Why not make a crop, get a couple strong colonys through the winter, then split in the spring?  Alot easier than babying a couple marginal colonys through the winter.  Do you have a winter in SC?
I would get them through the winter, put some pollen or pollen sub on them in the early spring, and build them up.  Split them leading into the early flow, and away we go.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 12:20:31 pm »
July may be pushing your luck.  But you can always combine in the fall and you'll learn a lot in the process.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything