Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some advice please - SHB trap  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Some advice please - SHB trap
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »
I've been using my own version of a bottom board trap for SHB. Basically using a metal baking tray about 6" x 9" (being the smallest I could find) under a hole about the same size cut into the board and covered with a fine expanded metal mesh. It's been working great and catches lots of beetles however as it is place just inside the entrance it is also a very effective pollen trap and about a third of the oil in the tray is taken up with pollen - the pyramid it for a has come up out off the 1/2" deep oil. I'm concerned I'm depleting the hive of it pollen stores.

Should I put them in a different location in future? Middle or back of the hive?

With the existing ones would say a 2" or whatever 'bridge' across the middle of the hole help the bees negotiate the trap without loosing their load ?
David L

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Some advice please - SHB trap
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:00:41 am »
I'm having trouble seeing what you're describing. Some visual aids would be helpful.  This is what I'm building.

Later,
Ray

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:57:04 pm »
RHBee, those look pretty good.  How are you sealing the corners of the pan?

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:31:47 am »
RHBee, those look pretty good.  How are you sealing the corners of the pan?

dr, I use the same method for corners that is used for shower pans. It involves folding a "pig ear" in the corners. I use light aluminum flashing because it's easier to work with. You can google the method. I make my folds to the outside. Here are some pictures of what it looks like. These are representative.

Later,
Ray

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:14:14 am »
RH ,  Pretty cool.  I've done those in the past with other projects.  No sealing needed with them at all. 

anything