Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first hive  (Read 9596 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: My first hive
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 02:00:31 am »
Yeah, go get that sucker!   :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JB

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 10:59:57 pm »
I put out a plate of honey and waited for them to really start flying before going to the tree to get a sample. They were very calm and did not pay any attention to me. I should hear one way or the other in a few days.

Offline JB

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 06:26:04 pm »
Well bad news, The test came back positive. I would do a cutout and requeen but I dont have anywhere to keep them while they are hot. Since the hive is going to be in the way of construction I am going to have to report it to the city. I really dont want to see any of the construction workers get hurt. I am going to see if I can find another hive but if the results come back the same I will be buying some bees :-\

Offline Ericnwicklow

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 07:25:43 pm »
hello Jb

First of all the pictures are fantastic ,great shots keep them coming i have had my hives a couple of years now and i have been lucky so far a couple of swarms last year ,i gave one swarm to the neighbour who wanted to keep bees a long time so we are both learning together its great fun and really does capture something within theres something special about those bees you know.
Anyway what i was going to say was find out about local beekeepers if there are any nearby ,thats where my first bees came from  ,i was give n a nuc from a beekeeper in the association i joined and i have enjoyed my days beekeeping so much since.
Good luck and will keep a look out for your photos and progress.

Regards Eric.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 11:50:19 pm »
Was it an actual DNA test or just the FABIS measuring test?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 11:56:03 pm »
I would do a cutout and requeen but I dont have anywhere to keep them while they are hot.

How long does it take for their temperment to come down?  Does the generation of bees raised by the africanized queen have to die off and be replaced by the new queen in order to notice a difference?  I haven't had to requeen due to temperment.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JB

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:40 am »
Jerrymac- I dont know what test they use at TAMU but it is probably the FABIS test. After talking with the state inspector last night I am having second thoughts about even trying to keep bees in this area.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 11:54:10 am »
Here is the problem I believe exist with the FABIS test. It measures the bee. It is believed that the AHB is smaller than the EHB. But if European bees are out in the wild long enough building their own comb they will become smaller. The foundation used for the past 100 +/- years has artificially enlarged the bees. They go back to building smaller cells (regressing) if left with no artificially made
foundation. Smaller brood cells = smaller bees = FABIS test wrong.

So if they have been testing a bunch of feral hive only with measurements then perhaps there are not as many AHBs as they think they are. If you can go to this hive and start messing with them and they don't cover you up the go for it. I live in AHB area also and have done cut outs. I have not seen anything near what is claimed AHB do.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 12:55:36 pm »
The real test is the attitude of the bees.  Whether they have AHB genes or pure European, they can both be extremely hot at times.  I wouldn't be afraid to cut into them wearing a suit a gloves and see what they do.  Just standing in front of the hive is enough if they are truly hot AHB. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 07:14:50 pm »
If you want my opinion (and for that matter the opinion of Marla Spivak) I'd go by temperament.

http://orton.catie.ac.cr/cgi-bin/wxis.exe/?IsisScript=OET.xis&method=post&formato=2&cantidad=1&expresion=mfn=010125
http://orton.catie.ac.cr/cgi-bin/wxis.exe/?IsisScript=OET.xis&method=post&formato=2&cantidad=1&expresion=mfn=018195

Besides, the "holy grail" of bee breeding should be to find good, nice, productive AHB.  They can survive and flourish well enough to displace EHB, and there are only a few traits standing between them and good productive bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JB

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 09:59:33 pm »
I agree with everything that has been said. If I had a place that was out of the way to keep them I would not have a problem working a hot hive. Since the hive is going to be in the back yard I need bees that are very calm. I also need bees that will pass state inspection (which I found out happens to use the FABIS test). Should one of the neighbors get stung and try to take me to court I need to have all the paperwork in order to show the bees are without a doubt EHB. Right now I am asking myself if its worth all the trouble to try and keep bees in the backyard? What would you do?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 10:35:59 pm »
What would you do?

Heh...me....I would go get that hive and requeen the sucker.

I'm curious, how far away are your neighbors?  How far would the hive be from the majority of the people traffic.  Did you have any issues when you went and took their picture?

If worst came to worst with the african hive. Get a good italian hive and don't let AHB deter you from beekeeping.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JB

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 11:51:21 pm »
Bassman- I had no problems taking the pictures or getting the sample of bees(holding a mason jar over the entrance). My back yard is about 50yds wide by 25yds deep with a 5ft wooden fence between the houses. So anyway you cut it the traffic around the hive will be about 25yds. 

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 01:18:01 am »
Bassman- I had no problems taking the pictures or getting the sample of bees(holding a mason jar over the entrance). My back yard is about 50yds wide by 25yds deep with a 5ft wooden fence between the houses. So anyway you cut it the traffic around the hive will be about 25yds. 

Ah ok.  I was just curious if you were in a farm or backwoods type area, you would probably be fine.  Having no experience with AHBs, I would be curious to know what some of the others in the forum would think about the distance you mentioned...especially after a requeening.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything