Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starplate Building System greenhouse  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Starplate Building System greenhouse
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:17:19 am »
I saw an ad in Country Side magazine for the Starplate Building frame connectors to put together a greenhouse.  The kit is like $70 and comes with just the hardware.  All I have to provide is the lumber and plastic sheeting.  Looks really cool and easy to put together.  Anyone build one of these? 

Sean

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Starplate Building System greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:51:32 am »
I haven't but it looks very nice.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:56:25 am »
It looks like it would be a little short on floor space.  You can build a hoop style much cheaper and have more floor space.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=8649.msg55296#msg55296
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 02:39:57 pm »
I bought one of these systems this winter and began putting it together this spring with 8' members (no cutting). It was surprisingly easy to put the frame together. The day I got the frame together a terrible wind storm blew up and tossed the frame across the yard and only stopped when it hit the fence.

The plates bent terribly out of shape so much so that they could not be used again. The company would not back up the product and the whole thing was a waste. Keep in mind that after wood, plates, and hardware the frame alone will cost you $200. The bolts alone cost me over $50. Since the company would not replace them or back them up I did not get another set and ended up building a traditional goat barn instead.

My neighbor built one of these and has gotten to the roofing part of it. He says it is a pain to roof it, but is coming along.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

anything