Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: super duper dark honey  (Read 4276 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
super duper dark honey
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:50:59 pm »
The honey I just extracted via the crush and strain method is so freaking dark, you cannot see through it, even with a powerful flash light shinning behind it. Is this ok? I have never seen honey so dark , it almost looks like molasses sitting in the jars.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: super duper dark honey
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:54:43 pm »
Sure, how does it taste? What were they foraging? All honey is not light in color. Dark honey usually taste stronger. It's all good!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:31:14 pm »
what Steve said  :-D

i get very dark honey from the buckwheat and a couple of other things around here.  i prefer it to the light stuff that i get off the berries and fruit trees. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:08:15 pm »
So far everyone have very light honey this year.  (compared with last year)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:59:11 pm »
all of mine was light until i got to the last two supers.  those are darker, but still not as dark as last year.  the dark is what i'll keep for me!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »
Dark like Guinness?   Now there's a pint.

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »
The later the season gets the darker honey gets....usually.

The harvest I did yesterday, the honey was very dark.  To my knowledge there is no buckwheat near me.  We are in a record drought in Western Massachusetts and the nectar is extra concentrated so I suspect that has something to do with it.

The honey tastes fabulous.  Very bold with a bite.  All mine!  My summer basswood honey is what is going to be in people's Christmas stockings this year.

Mike

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 05:47:19 pm »
I had bees on sunflowers. I extracted a super and it is somewhat dark with a different taste......but good.
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 06:26:00 pm »
Somehow my posts keep disappearing on me...here goes again...The darker the honey the more I like it! I try to sell off all of my light "spring honey" and save some of the later-darker honey for myself. There are tons of folks out there that prefer it dark though so you may want to keep it a secret!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 06:34:31 pm »
The dark stuff may be goldenrod and asters.Did your hives smell like dirty socks covered with honey before the honey was capped? It is quite a noticeable smell until the honey is cured and capped.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
yes it did have a funny smell ,not sure i would equate it to what you mentioned, but yes it did have a smell.

some of my posts are missing as well HMMM

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:47 pm »
Dark honey is the very very best!!!!  I was or am hoping to get at least one super for me this year off of the goldenrod and I also kept buckwheat going all year!   I have heard some say that goldenrod honey is not all that but I disagree,  You can tell when the bees are bringing it in cause of the smell coming off the hives but after that it is delicious!

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 12:54:39 am »
Here in Oregon we really can't afford to take of the Asters etc.  You risk the collony if they arn't ship shape by the middle of October.

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 12:56:40 am »
That sounds like the good stuff!  More flavor is more flavor.

Old Blue

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:49:02 am »
Try making Barbeque sauce with a dark honey sometime - the best!!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 12:25:06 pm »
Got a good recipe JC? Why not post it for us :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »
Somehow my posts keep disappearing on me...here goes again...The darker the honey the more I like it! I try to sell off all of my light "spring honey" and save some of the later-darker honey for myself. There are tons of folks out there that prefer it dark though so you may want to keep it a secret!

Scott

That's so weird--I think I read your other post and now it's gone. Something about your customers preferring the dark honey?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »
Yeah, cyber gremlins I guess!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907