Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too late for a KY Split?  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Titus

• House Bee
Too late for a KY Split?
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »
I don't think I'll be getting any honey from my hives this year with the poor flow.  I'd still like to increase my number of hives.  I was thinking about splitting some of my good hives, either splitting the boxes 50/50 and let one side raise a new queen or take enough frames from a good hive and place in a nuc box to raise their own queen.
Do you all think its too late for this?  I know I'd have to feed the splits.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Too late for a KY Split?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »
I would think there is still time. Up here in NE OH, the goldenrod is just starting. The drones are still plentiful. That is the biggest concern; drones to mate with your new queens. I think you would be fine into early October for that. If you have a population problem at that point, you could re-combine.

Offline mrchevy3

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:51:42 pm »
Titus I was wondering if you did the split ? & if so how were they doing. Im in the Nashville area in TN

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:18:02 am »
So far they are doing fine.  They made a new queen and built up a bit.  I've got them in 2 med boxes which is small for wintering, but I've fed them well and insulated/ventilated the hive.  I'd say its 50/50, hopefully they'll make it through the winter.  Cluster is about the size of a small cantaloupe.

Offline Bee Busters

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:54 am »
Titus,  when did you split them?

anything